Question about adding MA.

May 30, 2012
Boyd, Texas
If I am trying to lower my TA is there any difference is adding MA at 7.5 to get to 7.2 or waiting until 7.8 to get to 7.2? Like does several small additions reduce TA the same as one big addition but not as often?

(may have been answered before, I tried to search.)

Lowering the pH to 7.2 has carbon dioxide outgas about twice as fast compared to a pH of 7.5 while a pH of 7.8 outgasses about half as fast. Probably more important and noticeable, however, is how much aeration you provide. Even turning up the returns with the pump on high can help speed things along quite a bit.

I'm interested in this too! Taken a break from my aggressive TA lowering due to family issues, but ready to get back at it.

Will TA lower more quickly

1) if pH is adjusted to 7.2 each time it reaches 7.5 or
2) if pH is adjusted to 7.2 when it reaches 7.8 (requiring a larger dose of MA)

Thanks for clearing it up chemgeek -- I know we're probably talking minor differences here either but somehow I read it and got two different answers in my head and wasn't sure which it was! I'm pretty stoked that TA has been reduced to a point where a gallon of MA is sufficient to lower me from 7.8 to 7.2! I see the end in sight!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.