Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question about adding MA.

1. Back To Top    #1

Question about adding MA.

If I am trying to lower my TA is there any difference is adding MA at 7.5 to get to 7.2 or waiting until 7.8 to get to 7.2? Like does several small additions reduce TA the same as one big addition but not as often?

(may have been answered before, I tried to search.)
    6500 gal, Intex 18'x48" above ground, 1hp Pro Sand Filter, TF100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Question about adding MA.

For some reason, larger additions of MA seem to have a more measurable impact on reducing TA. You can aerate to get the pH up, and then MA down to 7.2 and aerate up again. It will amaze you how far you can drop TA in a week.
    19204 Gallon L Shape with a 10X10 2nd Step Baja Ledge. Intellichlor IC-40, IntellipH, Cartridge Filter, Pentair Heater/Chiller (Heat Pump). Tons of Deck with Deck Jets. Construction Complete 6/5/17.

"If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks. Guess I'll start letting it get a little higher before adding MA. Can already tell I'm going to need a couple more jugs of MA.
    6500 gal, Intex 18'x48" above ground, 1hp Pro Sand Filter, TF100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Adding acid more frequently lowers TA just a little bit faster. The difference is small however, and you probably won't notice it.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Lowering the pH to 7.2 has carbon dioxide outgas about twice as fast compared to a pH of 7.5 while a pH of 7.8 outgasses about half as fast. Probably more important and noticeable, however, is how much aeration you provide. Even turning up the returns with the pump on high can help speed things along quite a bit.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

6. Back To Top    #6

I'm interested in this too! Taken a break from my aggressive TA lowering due to family issues, but ready to get back at it.

Will TA lower more quickly

1) if pH is adjusted to 7.2 each time it reaches 7.5 or
    2) if pH is adjusted to 7.2 when it reaches 7.8 (requiring a larger dose of MA)
    Vogue Vectra 30' Round (21,200 gallons), Waterway 2HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter - TF100 -- Southern IL - Install 06/2012
    Last minute upgrade from 27' due to error in dealer inventory *yikes*

7. Back To Top    #7

Jason already answered this. #1 is a somewhat faster (not a lot), but obviously more effort since you need to add acid more frequently.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks for clearing it up chemgeek -- I know we're probably talking minor differences here either but somehow I read it and got two different answers in my head and wasn't sure which it was! I'm pretty stoked that TA has been reduced to a point where a gallon of MA is sufficient to lower me from 7.8 to 7.2! I see the end in sight!
    Vogue Vectra 30' Round (21,200 gallons), Waterway 2HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter - TF100 -- Southern IL - Install 06/2012
    Last minute upgrade from 27' due to error in dealer inventory *yikes*