Got to anxious... Ooops...

Jul 16, 2012
We started the process of prepping our backyard for our Polypool 24'X52" pool a couple weeks ago, out backyard was somewhat level, no major sloping but we did have high and low spots. I didn't want to bring in sand so we tilled the backyard about 10" deep, moved dirt from high spots to low spots then watered and tamped the whole area using a 12' 2x4 to insure everything was good and level. After a week of work we got everything looking fantastic. We got the pool setup and filling, everything was looking fantastic then I realized we had a major problem. I had forgotten to put extra support under the legs of our pool. They began to sink, worse on some sides than others and of course the sinking did not start to show itself until the pool was full ARG! So immediately we began to drain the pool, it has been draining with 4 hoses now since early Saturday afternoon I think today it will be drained enough I can work with it (it was 1/4 full at 4am today) my plan is to start from one leg, put a 12x12 paver buried under a leg, get the paver level with the ground then run a string with a level across the pool and do the same on the other side the repeat the process and level all the other legs to the first leg installing pavers on each one of them. What a stupid mistake I made, I am hoping this method works my ground is all level and in good shape otherwise. Hope I didn't screw myself here...

The recommended method is to create your level pad by taking the surrounding area down to the lowest spot. Tilling to 10" has likely caused the whole area to not be well compacted, and you may have settling or washout issues going forward. For now, getting support under the legs seems to be your only option short of a total do over. Finding a way to keep water from running under and around the pool edge will be important.

elwood58 said:
The recommended method is to create your level pad by taking the surrounding area down to the lowest spot. Tilling to 10" has likely caused the whole area to not be well compacted, and you may have settling or washout issues going forward. For now, getting support under the legs seems to be your only option short of a total do over. Finding a way to keep water from running under and around the pool edge will be important.
Right and that is what we did, tilling was required as the dirt we have is a very very dense clay that doesn't just move. The pool itself did no settling at all, just the legs. Hopefully the larger surface area of the pavers will be enough to keep further sinking at bay...

if you are taking it down anyway, why not rotate the pool and set the pavestones on ground that was not supporting the legs when they sank. You can help support the clay with all its airpockets in it by pouring sand on top and packing it down. We had to have that done with ours. Clay sucks.

I think it will likely be ok placing the bricks where the legs are currently, they will get lifted obviously then holes dug for the bricks. The legs only sunk 1-2", or perhaps I am just telling myself this to make me feel better lol either way this is what we are gonna try!

I started on getting everything sorted out last night, what a pain trying to re-level the pool. I am going to throw a rotary laser in the middle of the pool so I am dead on. The 12"x12" pavers we purchased feel extremely solid in the ground, I got 4 of the 24 set last night in a couple of hours... It's going to be a long process, I am hoping it pays off in the end.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.