Just starting BBB

Tech, I check my water every morning when I get up, but I keep chlorine at a level where it won't drop below the recc min overnight. Others check and dose chlorine at night. During the week, I just read ph and chlorine. On weekend "maintenance" morning, I check the TA, borates, and sometimes calcium as well (don't really need to on calcium as I'm vinyl.)

By way of example, my range is 4 to 6. By dosing to 7.5 ppm, I stay in range no matter what, b/c I rarely lose more than 3 ppm in a day, however sunny and hot.

The exception is when fooling around with stain removers (AA, as I have iron) or a full jack's pink treatment, in which case chlorine is consumed faster.

Everyone's site, size, locale,cya etc. Is a little different, so every pool will have a slightly different loss range. For example, I have a lot of shade on parts of the pool as the sun moves, so some days I can loose UNDER 2 ppm ;) once you start logging, you will quickly find your baseline "normal."

Ps the exception to the above is of course when shocking, which requires more frequent testing to maintain a min shock level to account for unpredictable consumption. You had 0.5 cc and said water was clear, but the third parameter of no need to shock would be the overnight chlorine loss, with reading taken after sunset and before sunrise with less than 1 ppm FC loss.

Now, if you actually still have mustard algae, you would want to shock to the higher mustard algae shock levels until you pass the overnight loss/less than .5 cc, clear water test to be certain it is destroyed.

In that case, you would want to test more frequently to make sure you did not ever drop below the mustard level shock figure shown in the pool school chart, and continue doing so until you passed the overnight test parameters (all 3)

At CYA 40, you will want to keep your FC above 3 at all times. So I would aim for 6. Enter your pool gallon size in the pool calculator and put 1 in Current FC and 6 in the Target FC. It will tell you how much bleach to add, and if you mouse over gives you a different way of reading the dose (in cups instead of ounces) http://www.poolcalculator.com/ I would bookmark that page.

PS, I don't mean to be rude or anything, but forum rules require signatures to be under 5 lines. It would be great if you could edit it to 5 lines or less.

I'll fix my signature, sorry. I'm a little confused. The Cl level from the basic kit that comes with the tf100..is that the FC level that I'm supposed to adjust by or the FC level from the drop test?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

The basic kit is hard to read with any accuracy.

Most of us use it to know if we have ANY chlorine or A LOT of chlorine, not really how much chlorine. I always use the drop test to determine FC for bleach dosage.

Update: water looks really good. Very slight burning of my eyes after swimming. The staining seems to be spreading to the middle of the pool. It's not crazy staining, but is not getting better. I will be doing a full test tonight and will post numbers then.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Read this article about AA treatment for information about how it affects the water chemistry.
ascorbic-treatment-to-rid-pool-of-metal-stains-t2298.html

From my understanding, not only will chlorine reduce the efficiency of the AA, the AA will effectively neutralize the chlorine. They attack and kill each other apparently.

In an AA treatment chlorine is allowed to fall to 0 for the first 24 hours so this exchange doesn't occur. Polyquat 60 can be used to help prevent algae growth.

TechJPC said:
Had to use a full pound of AA last night. Water is Crystal and absolutely NO staining. Pool looks amazing. Will do full test this evening.

Guess I shouldn't go in pool until fc is up? It just looks tooooo good not to go in.. wahhhhhh. When should I be able to go in?

TechJPC said:
UnderWaterVanya said:
TechJPC said:
Latest numbers
Ph 7.5
Cya 40
Ta 110
Cc 0.5
Fc 4.5
Tc 5
Cl 2

? CL 2 ?
What is this vs. FC?
On the basic kit that measures ph and chlorine, it's the chlorine. Not as accurate as FC. Someone correct me if Im wrong.

My understanding is that it measures FC initially but TC within a couple of minutes.
Even so I'm surprised that you read 4.5 with FAS-DPD and 2 with basic.

Tonight's numbers. How am I doing? Just added 39 more oz of bleach. I know I'm supposed to be adding bleach slowly in the evening.

Ph 7.2
Cya 30
Ta 80
Cc 0
Fc 0
Tc 0

TechJPC said:
Tonight's numbers. How am I doing? Just added 39 more oz of bleach. I know I'm supposed to be adding bleach slowly in the evening.

Ph 7.2
Cya 30
Ta 80
Cc 0
Fc 0
Tc 0

Zero? For both CC and FC? Wait an hour, add more bleach if the test is still showing zero.

UnderWaterVanya said:
TechJPC said:

Ph 7.2
Cya 30
Ta 80
Cc 0
Fc 0
Tc 0

Zero? For both CC and FC? Wait an hour, add more bleach if the test is still showing zero.

Ok, I didn't check cc and fc after I added. I'll go and check them and report back.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.