Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 61

Thread: Just starting BBB

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Just starting BBB

    Hi, Love the site and looking forward to learning a lot.
    I have some of these left over http://www.intheswim.com/Pool-Chemicals ... e-Tablets/

    Can I continue to keep using them while using BBB ?

    I also have this, which looks like I need a better kit.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002NS ... 00_s00_i01

    Thanks
    Joe
    Thanks, Joe

    New Jersey
    - 15ft round Above Ground pool with vinyl liner (10 yrs old)
    - 5700 gallons, Sand Filter, 1.5hp pump

  2. Back To Top    #2
    UnderWaterVanya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Mint Hill, NC
    Posts
    2,589

    Re: Just starting BBB

    When you are starting out with BBB - you'll typically need to switch your clorine source to Bleach or Liquid Clorine "shock" (Same chemical different strength). The problem with the pucks you have is that they contain CYA which is a stabilizer that acts like sunscreen for the chlorine - but too much is not a good thing. Over time the CYA builds up and it becomes nightmarishly difficult to get the pool to stay algae free.

    If you add the pucks now you're likely to have too high CYA levels and the only recourse is to drain and refill part of your water until the levels are back down.

    Read "pool school" on the top right and come back with additional questions... these guys are here to help. Remember that one of the main cornerstones is that testing is needed and pool store tests are junk. Read the section on test kits - without a kit you're not armed with the knowledge you need to win this battle.
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

  3. Back To Top    #3

    Re: Just starting BBB

    Quote Originally Posted by UnderWaterVanya
    When you are starting out with BBB - you'll typically need to switch your clorine source to Bleach or Liquid Clorine "shock" (Same chemical different strength). The problem with the pucks you have is that they contain CYA which is a stabilizer that acts like sunscreen for the chlorine - but too much is not a good thing. Over time the CYA builds up and it becomes nightmarishly difficult to get the pool to stay algae free.

    If you add the pucks now you're likely to have too high CYA levels and the only recourse is to drain and refill part of your water until the levels are back down.

    Read "pool school" on the top right and come back with additional questions... these guys are here to help. Remember that one of the main cornerstones is that testing is needed and pool store tests are junk. Read the section on test kits - without a kit you're not armed with the knowledge you need to win this battle.
    Thanks for the quick response.
    Thanks, Joe

    New Jersey
    - 15ft round Above Ground pool with vinyl liner (10 yrs old)
    - 5700 gallons, Sand Filter, 1.5hp pump

  4. Back To Top    #4

    Re: Just starting BBB

    Just ordered my TF-100 Test Kit.
    Keeping the faith.
    Thanks, Joe

    New Jersey
    - 15ft round Above Ground pool with vinyl liner (10 yrs old)
    - 5700 gallons, Sand Filter, 1.5hp pump

  5. Back To Top    #5

    In the Industry

    duraleigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Sebring, Florida
    Posts
    30,077

    Re: Just starting BBB

    It just shipped!
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

  6. Back To Top    #6

    Re: Just starting BBB

    Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    It just shipped!
    Great.. Haven't received it yet. Hopefully by the time I get home from work.

    Thanks, Joe

    New Jersey
    - 15ft round Above Ground pool with vinyl liner (10 yrs old)
    - 5700 gallons, Sand Filter, 1.5hp pump

  7. Back To Top    #7

    Re: Just starting BBB

    Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    It just shipped!
    Can you PM me the tracking number?

    Thanks, Joe

    New Jersey
    - 15ft round Above Ground pool with vinyl liner (10 yrs old)
    - 5700 gallons, Sand Filter, 1.5hp pump

  8. Back To Top    #8

    Re: Just starting BBB

    So, while I wait for my test kit to arrive. I took a few pics and used a test strip (I know they are basically useless). The water is pretty clear but not OMG "look how clear that is". I stopped using the tabs and started using bleach. After taking my hand out of the water this morning my hand smelled like chlorine.

    This is what I have this morning with the test strip.

    PH 7.8
    FC 10
    Alkalinity 180
    Cya 100

    https://www.dropbox.com/s/iot9o6fzsc...717_071920.jpg

    https://www.dropbox.com/s/861bqyg2a7...717_071931.jpg

    https://www.dropbox.com/s/h65bbral3v...717_072005.jpg
    Thanks, Joe

    New Jersey
    - 15ft round Above Ground pool with vinyl liner (10 yrs old)
    - 5700 gallons, Sand Filter, 1.5hp pump

  9. Back To Top    #9

    Re: Just starting BBB

    Quote Originally Posted by TechJPC
    So, while I wait for my test kit to arrive. I took a few pics and used a test strip (I know they are basically useless). The water is pretty clear but not OMG "look how clear that is". I stopped using the tabs and started using bleach. After taking my hand out of the water this morning my hand smelled like chlorine.

    This is what I have this morning with the test strip.

    PH 7.8
    FC 10
    Alkalinity 180
    Cya 100

    https://www.dropbox.com/s/iot9o6fzsc...717_071920.jpg

    https://www.dropbox.com/s/861bqyg2a7...717_071931.jpg

    https://www.dropbox.com/s/h65bbral3v...717_072005.jpg

    Since this test strip is saying 100 on my CYA, do you think it's a good idea to backwash a few times just to be safe or just wait for my real test kit to get an accurate reading?

    Joe
    Thanks, Joe

    New Jersey
    - 15ft round Above Ground pool with vinyl liner (10 yrs old)
    - 5700 gallons, Sand Filter, 1.5hp pump

  10. Back To Top    #10
    Mod Squad Bama Rambler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SouthWest Alabama
    Posts
    22,333

    Re: Just starting BBB

    I'd wait for the good test kit.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

  11. Back To Top    #11

    Re: Just starting BBB

    Just remembered I bought this last year for hurricane Irene (thougght my bsmt was going to flood). So I guess if I have to drain my pool, it won't be much of an issue

    http://www.amazon.com/Wayne-RUP160-6-Ho ... Water+Pump

    Joe
    Thanks, Joe

    New Jersey
    - 15ft round Above Ground pool with vinyl liner (10 yrs old)
    - 5700 gallons, Sand Filter, 1.5hp pump

  12. Back To Top    #12

    Re: Just starting BBB

    Did a quick partial test this morning before work. Figured if my CYA was over 100, I'd have to drain and refill. Question is how much do I drain?

    CL under .5
    PH under 6.8
    CYA over 100

    Thanks, Joe

    New Jersey
    - 15ft round Above Ground pool with vinyl liner (10 yrs old)
    - 5700 gallons, Sand Filter, 1.5hp pump

  13. Back To Top    #13

    In the Industry

    duraleigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Sebring, Florida
    Posts
    30,077

    Re: Just starting BBB

    Is that still with the strips?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

  14. Back To Top    #14

    Re: Just starting BBB

    Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    Is that still with the strips?
    No strips..used the tf-100.

    Thanks, Joe

    New Jersey
    - 15ft round Above Ground pool with vinyl liner (10 yrs old)
    - 5700 gallons, Sand Filter, 1.5hp pump

  15. Back To Top    #15

    Re: Just starting BBB

    The CYA level was less than an 1/8" below the 100 line on the tube. We also had a good dose of rain last night (heavy thunderstorms).
    Thanks, Joe

    New Jersey
    - 15ft round Above Ground pool with vinyl liner (10 yrs old)
    - 5700 gallons, Sand Filter, 1.5hp pump

  16. Back To Top    #16

    In the Industry

    duraleigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Sebring, Florida
    Posts
    30,077

    Re: Just starting BBB

    You have three things going on that need attention...

    1. You have no FC....algae is on the way

    2. Your CYA is too high and you should drain about 1/3 of your pool, refill, then 1/3 again, refill and test.

    3. Your pH is too low. If you do not drain refill right away, you will need to bring your pH up to 7.0 or more.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

  17. Back To Top    #17

    Re: Just starting BBB

    Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    You have three things going on that need attention...

    1. You have no FC....algae is on the way

    2. Your CYA is too high and you should drain about 1/3 of your pool, refill, then 1/3 again, refill and test.

    3. Your pH is too low. If you do not drain refill right away, you will need to bring your pH up to 7.0 or more.
    Gotcha.
    Regarding the draining ... Should I do that in one event or wait in between drainings or can I just drain a little over 1/2 at one time ?

    I did put about 1/4 of a large bottle of bleach from Walmart in this morning after I tested. I planned on doing the draining tomorrow evening (maybe tonight if I have time). I could have someone put more bleach in today for me while I wait to drain.

    Once the draining and refilling and testing is done, that's when I use the pool calculator to determine what to put in ?
    Thanks, Joe

    New Jersey
    - 15ft round Above Ground pool with vinyl liner (10 yrs old)
    - 5700 gallons, Sand Filter, 1.5hp pump

  18. Back To Top    #18

    In the Industry

    duraleigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Sebring, Florida
    Posts
    30,077

    Re: Just starting BBB

    I misspoke about draining 1/3....I was thinking IG pool. With your pool, drain a little over half and then refill and retest. sorry.

    Get your pool filled back up and post your test results, and tell us what your water looks like.....you'll use the poolcalculator then to get your chemistry to the right levels.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

  19. Back To Top    #19

    Re: Just starting BBB

    After draining and refilling , my CYA should be 30-50 ? What if it's up to 70 or more ?
    Thanks, Joe

    New Jersey
    - 15ft round Above Ground pool with vinyl liner (10 yrs old)
    - 5700 gallons, Sand Filter, 1.5hp pump

  20. Back To Top    #20

    In the Industry

    duraleigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Sebring, Florida
    Posts
    30,077

    Re: Just starting BBB

    one step at a time. I think your CYA will be about 50 but let's see.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •