Why don't pool builders mention the BBB method?

AaronGo

LifeTime Supporter
Dec 8, 2011
Houston, Texas
I am assuming that pool builders in general don't mention the BBB method (or anything like it) to new pool customers.

When we picked our pool builder, one of the things they pushed was how they strive to build a pool that requires as little time as possible to maintain. I am thinking how that is a good philosophy (not the main reason we chose them), as they they seemed to put real thought into their equipment and pool build to achieve this goal. But now that I have "seen the light" and understand how the BBB method is superior to achieving a happy pool, why don't more pool builders at least tell their customers about this option and the pros/cons of different maintenance approaches? In my case, the pool builder doesn't sell pool products or have a side pool maintenance service, so they don't have a vested interest in HOW we choose to maintain our pool. I can see how it's more appealing to the prospective customer to think they can just drop some trichlor tabs in and go about their business. But after reading this site, that is just a recipe for eventual problems.

Anyway, I am curious why the BBB method (or anything remotely close to it) is not more mainstream when it makes so much sense. Is it just a case of pool builders not knowing any better or not wanting to spook potential customers? Maybe some of both?

Why pool supply stores wouldn't want this info getting out is completely understandable. They don't want people buying cheaper household products or going to Walmart for stabilizer.

Pool builders need to know about pool care then if they want to keep the industry going. People around here end up with green pools after a couple years and then can't wait to get rid of the headache and the expense of buying all the useless chemicals sold by pool stores. Neighbors see their neighbors failed pools and won't touch one for themselves. Everyone always asks me how I can deal with "all the work" to maintain my pool . . that's the reputation they have here. I'd like to spread the word about how easy BBB is but I don't know how.

True, you'd think that for the sake of increased "word of mouth" business, pool builders would want their customers to know ALL of the options for pool care. My wife works with a few people who own pools and they curse them, saying how difficult they are to maintain and aren't worth the hassle. I am actually disappointed that my builder didn't mention how CYA levels would slowly increase with trichlor tab use and the consequences of that (for instance). The foreman at least told me not to use the silver/copper feature, although I eventually found out about that on TFP.

I'll admit, adding bleach daily does not sound as convenient as just dropping in a few pucks every so often, but we're also talking about 5-10 minutes of "work" a day (at most). I can see how in a few more weeks the testing and adding chemicals will be second nature to me and the time investment will be fairly minimal.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.