Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Owner

1. Back To Top    #1

New Owner

Hello All
    total new to the pool thing, and we have the intex 12x36 ultra frame pool with the stock pump and the intex skimmer (got the skimmer for 20.00 at big lots sale yesterday).
    My pool is all setup with only a 3/4 inch difference in height. We feel not to bad on the first try for the season (and yea up here in maine it is short). But I do have a few concerns though.

1. the pool ladder and how durable the liner is where it sits inside the pool?
    and is there something to aide in protecting it from wear.

2. testing of the water Right now i just have the hth test strips and chemicals (filled pool with city water)

3. Skimmer top just floats at the water level with not much water flow in it when pump is running?

4 skimmer's main body is there like a recommended depth it should be sitting in the water??

Hicksville, NY
    1950 Gallon Summer Escape 12' x 36" Round
    Above Ground Vinyl Pool
    Intex Krystal Clear 1,600 Gallon Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: New Owner

Welcome to TFP.

1. They are ladder mats available but most people don't put anything and haven't reported any problems. You could also use a bath tub mat.

2. If you filled the pool with chlorinated public water you should be adding about 3 ppm FC per day until you get some CYA in there.

3. That's normal for that small pump.

4. I'm not familiar enough with them to comment.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Ok thanks
    So I would then think the pump is to small then? and from what I have been reading from other post it is, But it should be good enough I hope for this year and next year/winter upgrade it then
    Hicksville, NY
    1950 Gallon Summer Escape 12' x 36" Round
    Above Ground Vinyl Pool
    Intex Krystal Clear 1,600 Gallon Sand Filter

4. Back To Top    #4
    Twin Cities, MN

Welcome to tfp, merebel

Yeah the pumps that come with the small intex's are pretty poor. Make sure you clean the filter whenever the flow goes noticeably down and it should work for you.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.