Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: White flakes - what are they?

1. Back To Top    #1

White flakes - what are they?

Could someone please tell me what they these white flakes are. They are mostly in the spa (separated by valve actuators) but some flakes can be found in main pool as well. They are not slimy, they are brittle and break when touched.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    12,000G, Cartridge, IG-Plaster, Pentair easytouch 8, Intelliflo VS 3050, Intellichlor IC40, Safe-T 3 cover-pool

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: White flakes - what are they?

Most likely they are calcium flakes coming out of a SWG. They mean that your water balance is off just a little. If you post a complete set of water test results we can give you more specific advice.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

well that would make sense - when we moved into the house the SWG had been unplugged for who knows how long. Perhaps these were building up inside the cell?
    I've been working on getting all levels balanced again - I'll post a new complete test later today.
    12,000G, Cartridge, IG-Plaster, Pentair easytouch 8, Intelliflo VS 3050, Intellichlor IC40, Safe-T 3 cover-pool

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Ewok500
    well that would make sense - when we moved into the house the SWG had been unplugged for who knows how long. Perhaps these were building up inside the cell?
    I've been working on getting all levels balanced again - I'll post a new complete test later today.
    This could be buildup exiting the SWG, and it could also be a combination of water chemistry leading to calcium scaling. That full set of test results will be important info for us to help further.
    19204 Gallon L Shape with a 10X10 2nd Step Baja Ledge. Intellichlor IC-40, IntellipH, Cartridge Filter, Pentair Heater/Chiller (Heat Pump). Tons of Deck with Deck Jets. Construction Complete 6/5/17.

"If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"