Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Man! Did I get the looks today at Aldi's !!!

1. Back To Top    #1

Man! Did I get the looks today at Aldi's !!!

I made my stock up run to Aldi today as tomorrow is the official rite of spring opening or should I say uncovering of the pool for the season. I bought 40 jugs of bleach (at 99 cents I might add) and they barely fit in the cart. You talk about strange looks from some folks! One elderly man said, "Son, how long's it been since you washed?" I told him it was for my pool and he just stared at me and let out sort of a confused giggle. Then muttered something else I didn't understand and sauntered on his way. I just smiled and thought about crystal clear water!
    Ahhh ... BBB has many rewards!!
    20x40 30,000 gal IG Liner, Pentair II Sand

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Been there, done that. Ain't it great?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Tell em that you discovered how to run your car on bleach.
    Hotrod30

20 X 40 foot vinyl Borates and Salt Pool
    Rolachem Chlorine Feeder
    Hayward 27 inch sand filter with 80 lbs of pea gravel
    Jacuzzi Splash Pak SP55 DE filter in parallel
    Pentair VF3050 pump

4. Back To Top    #4
    I tell them I use it for blood stains.
    20x40 24,000 gal IG plaster/CircuPool RJ45 SWG/2 skimmer/2sp 2.5hp Jandy Stealth/340sq ft cart filter/600sqftHeliocol Solar Panels/6ft semi circlr tanning ledge/25ft deep end bench/5ft sheer descent/2 lion head water features/1300sqft travertine paver/2 Colorlogic lights/Hayward Navigator/3step 2ft raised bond beam

5. Back To Top    #5
    prolly thought you're running a meth lab
    Brian
    20K IG Gunite w/ raised 7ft spillover spa. 1.5 HP Hayward Northstar pump 425 sq ft Hayward cartridge filter, Colorlogic lights AquaRite SWG AquaLogic PS-8 control
    1hp pump for sheer descent

6. Back To Top    #6
    what is Aldi's ????

7. Back To Top    #7
    I'm guessing it's a grocery store or warehouse club.

EDIT: I was right - http://www.aldifoods.com/index_ENU_HTML.htm
    TFP Founder

My Pool: 13K gal IG gunite with 7' spa, Pentair Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG, Polaris 280 Cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.

8. Back To Top    #8

Aldi's is a no frills grocery store....owned by the same company that runs Trader Joe's (a higher end grocery store). I've found bleach to be pretty much the cheapest there.
    28,000 gallon gunite/white plaster with 30ft RBB and 2ft sheer descent, 100 sq ft thermaledge, 50sq ft spa w/ 6 jets
    2HP Jandy pump, 60sq ft Jandy DE filter, 400,000 BTU Jandy LX Nat Gas Heater, 2 Jandy color lights + Jandy color spa light, Jandy Aqualink RS6, Jandy AquaPure 1400

9. Back To Top    #9

Aldi

I buy my bleach there in Morgantown, WV
    always 99 cents
    I just tell people I'm making bombs, I get some looks when I go in there after work with shirt and tie!
    22,000 IG vinyl liner
    sand filter
    LQ 8 gallon

Jacuzzi Hot Tub
    420 gallons

10. Back To Top    #10

Re: Aldi

Quote Originally Posted by mikemedic
    always 99 cents
    I just tell people I'm making bombs, I get some looks when I go in there after work with shirt and tie!
    LOL! So you're not the one that cleaned Walmart out. The new one in Motown is totally out of bleach. BBB must be catching on here
    24000 Gal, 18x36 Vinyl
    Hayward Super Pump
    Jacuzzi Tri Clops Cartridge Filter
    Heat Siphon Heat Pump

11. Back To Top    #11
    hopefully we wouldnt run out of bleach here.
    I would like for one of the pool stores to carry liquid chlorine in the carboys, any ideas?
    22,000 IG vinyl liner
    sand filter
    LQ 8 gallon

Jacuzzi Hot Tub
    420 gallons

12. Back To Top    #12
    I love some of the replies you guys are giving people making remarks for us buying so much bleach at one time haha
    Have to try to remember them!
    NW Arkansas
    17,300 IG Gunite pool approx 16 yrs old (here when we bought the house in 2004)
    1.5 HP pump (rebuilt in '06)
    TA60 Tagelus Sand filter (sand replaced in '05)

13. Back To Top    #13

I tell them that its the only thing .....

that gets the blood out.....but I said the hard part is waiting for the little pieces to dry.....I explain that the bleach does absolutely nothing about the pieces and the I smile and wink.....
    Tony
    ______

My Pool set up:

28,000 gal, 40x32x16 True "L" IGP, 3-8.5 ft depth, Hayward 1.5hp Super Pump, Pro Seriews 300# sand filter, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, Barracuda III suction cleaner

14. Back To Top    #14

There you go, Sean, next June's news letter question.

You are checking out of a store with 30 gallons of bleach in 2 carts. The young check-out girl, with hickeys all around her neck and a tatoo of a serpent on her right arm, looks at you and asks "What you guna-do with all that bleach?"

And you say "........................................................... ..................................................."
    Hotrod30

20 X 40 foot vinyl Borates and Salt Pool
    Rolachem Chlorine Feeder
    Hayward 27 inch sand filter with 80 lbs of pea gravel
    Jacuzzi Splash Pak SP55 DE filter in parallel
    Pentair VF3050 pump

15. Back To Top    #15

Too funny. I have used every one of those in the 2 months I have been buying bleach. Blood, Bombs, Meth lab, Alternative fuel, Poison my neighbor estranged wife..... The looks are priceless.
    IG Vinyl liner, 21,500G sport bottom, TR-60 sand filter, 3/4 HP Whisper Flow, BBB with 12.5% Liquid Chlorine

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by sefrlw
    Too funny. I have used every one of those in the 2 months I have been buying bleach. Blood, Bombs, Meth lab, Alternative fuel, Poison my neighbor estranged wife..... The looks are priceless.
    Just as long as they know that you are joking around. Otherwise, you may end up having to visit with the local constabulary.

17. Back To Top    #17
    Just as long as they know that you are joking around. Otherwise, you may end up having to visit with the local constabulary.
    That could be, but a visit is just a visit, unless you are REALLY cooking meth, or making bombs, or whatever.
    I don't think that messing with nosy citizens by fabricating answers to meaningless questions is against the law in most jurisdictions (but I am NOT a lawyer), and heck, even the cops might get a laugh out of the story as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]

18. Back To Top    #18

I am sure the smile and chuckle indicates the joke. It is the bwahahahaah afterwards that gets them though.

It is really easy and safe to joke about it when you are not doing anything wrong.
    IG Vinyl liner, 21,500G sport bottom, TR-60 sand filter, 3/4 HP Whisper Flow, BBB with 12.5% Liquid Chlorine

19. Back To Top    #19

Re: Aldi

Quote Originally Posted by buddywiser
    Quote Originally Posted by mikemedic
    always 99 cents
    LOL! So you're not the one that cleaned Walmart out. The new one in Motown is totally out of bleach. BBB must be catching on here
    Just had the best laugh the year. I am in the process of a Baquacil to BBB conversion. I am almost finished (yeah)!! Over 100 bottles so far. I was in Morgantown WV twice this week and cleaned out the new Walmart I was in Uniontown PA Saturday and cleaned them out too. I guess I am guilty. Didn't know there were so many other TFP members nearby. Next time I am shopping and notice somebody with a buggy full of bleach, I will say hello.

I wish I would have had all these excuses earlier. I could have used them many times.
    D Friend

16X32 IG

20. Back To Top    #20

lol, I cleaned out our local walmart and Target too. But the bad thing is they only carry like 6 jugs per store. (store brand stuff anyways) Hopefully they will have more in in a couple days!
    8,100 gallon AG pool. Sand filter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast