Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What kind of mineral stain is this? with Pictures!

1. Back To Top    #1

In the Industry

What kind of mineral stain is this? with Pictures!

What kind of mineral stain is this? This is only the second time I've seen this in a pool. Acid gets rid of it quick and a sock with cal-hypo will actually darken the stain (see the pictures where I drew the letters O and T) I'm assuming the stains are from the frog system that is being used on the pool.

The link is for the photos
    https://plus.google.com/u/0/10252721...ts/hrtkaaCKVRs
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What kind of mineral stain is this? with Pictures!

It is difficult to tell from the pictures. For all I can see it could be copper, iron, or silver. The stains look more gray black to me than anything else, which fits both copper and silver better than it does iron. But I'm having trouble telling if that is the actual color or an artifact of the photos. The Pool Frog contains silver, so I'll guess silver.

When staining is ongoing, cal-hypo used locally will cause staining with any of the metals.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

If they are purple, they are likely manganese.

Drop the ph and FC. Add sequesterant and a couple CU-Later pouches in the skimmer. Check the fill water.

I don't think its the Frog. It uses silver and copper. Those would leave black and green, depending on the pH. Silver leaves silver oxide (black) with a low pH and copper is copper oxide, green.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

The stain's are not purple, they are greyish black (I took some of the photos through my sunglasses to reduce glare).

Customer thought he had black algae when speaking on the phone and I'm pretty sure the pool stores sold him black treat.

What stain removers does everyone like? I know about vitamin c but what about name brand products. I usually use pool stain treat which is a powder (I put it in a sock for spot cleaning). I know i've used some liquid blased removers in the past as well. Just curious if one type is seen as better than the other.
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com

5. Back To Top    #5

Black stains with a Frog will likely be silver oxide.

Ascorbic acid in bulk and cutting out the Frog usually work.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

6. Back To Top    #6

Jacks magic sells a stain identification kit. I haven't purchased it because my stains were clearly iron and my fill source had iron, but I would think the stain test kit might be handy when you're flying blind re what all a customer has put in their pool
    That said, silver makes sense -- I've used colloidal silver in the past and that's the color it goes if it "goes bad" (eg oxidizes).
    In ground extended Grecian, 22,000 gal, Hayward 220t sand filter, vinyl liner, dolphin m4 supreme.
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!
    Helpful Links:
    GET A TEST KIT Chlorine/CYA Chart How to SLAM About Metals & Stains

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Is the ID kit really worth it? I mean it's either mineral or organic right? I have chlorine and acid in the truck. Really don't know whats in the ID kit
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com