I guessed the stains on the bottom and sides were iron

Jul 30, 2007
I guessed the stains on the bottom and sides were iron, so I tossed in some Vitamin C tabs and sure enough, they each created a little blue circle. Emboldened, I bought a pound of ascorbic acid from the local nursery (only source I could find). Put it in trying to follow mbar's directions, but nothing happened. The pool store sells a "stain remover" for $50 a pound. Is that somehow better than the ascorbic acid (half the price). What should I do? Buy vitamin C tabs and crush them? Get the stain remover? Drown myself?

You can't half way do an AA treatment, you have to do the whole thing or it will not work correctly.

Ascorbic acid is the best stain remover available, and a good number of the pool store stain remover products are ascorbic acid. There are some other chemicals that do similar things also sold as stain removers though they aren't as good in one way or another. Citric acid works fairly well, but you need about twice as much.

Can you tell us more about your pool, for example how large is it?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.