DE leaking into the pool

May 2, 2008
We inherited a pool when we purchased our current house. I'm slowly learning this stuff and everytime I think I can take a breath something goes wrong. I guess it keeps me honest and on my toes.

I noticed recently that DE would leak back into the pool when the pump turns on. It would only do it for about two seconds and then it would stop leaking DE and filters normally as far as I can tell. So I decided to go ahead and take apart the filter and clean it. Then I placed fresh DE into the system. Even after doing this it still leaks DE into the pool for the first two seconds. If I "bump" the filter it will leak for about four seconds instead of two. I figured one of the "fingers" might be damaged but if this was the case wouldn't it leak DE into the pool constantly?

Any suggestions?

Hi Sammm,

When I pulled the filter apart to clean it I looked at the "fingers". I didn't notice anything torn but the fingers are pretty close together, so if there was a tear in the more centered fingers towards the top I probably would've missed it.

The thing I don't get is why it leaks for 2 seconds then stops for the rest of the pump cycle?

I guess I'm going to have to pull it apart, clean it and look over the fingers again?

Thanks!

SC,

I'm with you...that 2 second cycle doesn't sound like damage but rather, perhaps something not quite right in the multiport valve. It's a puzzling issue that may be hard to track down.

It could be that any tears in the fingers are getting clogged up pretty quickly with debris after you turn your pump back on. I've seen this before. If it is a tear and this is what is happening then debris clogging the tear is only going to make the tear bigger.

I'm digging into this a little further and I just thought of some things. I probably didn't notice the DE blowing before since I normally run the pool pump during the night and early morning during pool season to save on electricity costs. So it's possible it might of been blowing some DE since inheriting the pool.

Would it be possible that the pump is too powerful and pumping too much water for the filter unit to handle and causing it to blow out DE until it "clogs up" enough?

I have an AstralPool 1HP and model is the IGP2010 and can be seen here for the specs:

http://www.astralpoolcatalog.com/Produc ... Sprint.htm

My Hayward DE filter is the EC-40 which is very similar to the EC-40A (I think it's a minor updated model difference between the two):

http://www.poolcenter.com/hayward_perfl ... ilters.htm

The thing I noticed is the GPM that each part handles. The pump can produce 20-90 GPM depending on the feet of head (I'm unsure of how much feet of head I have) and the DE filter is suppose to handle 40 GPM, which doesn't match the pump, except for the highest feet of head at around 60ft. Anything less than 50ft of head produces over 45 GPM. Is this a possible culprit?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.