been a month

topher

Jun 24, 2012
toronto, Ontario, Canada
been a month since I have thrown in a bag of "shock" and used nothing but liquid chlorine. and I have to say I have NEVER seen a more clear pool ever. (once I got the Iron under control) however I am running a never ending battle with my PH and TA. as it comes out of the wall with a TA of 200 and PH of nearly 8 so I just keep hitting it with acid to try and get it down to 7.4-7.6 area. ANYWAYS it rained nearly 10 cm here today or 4 inches for you backwards Americans. (join the rest of the world) and my PH went up from 7.6 to over 8... so I tested the rain water. which happend to be 7.0-7.2... so I thought maybe the rain caused the water aerate? and raise the PH? it just made me angry I am tired of buying acid nearly every week!!! ARGH

And no I do not have a good test kit yet. funds are VERY LOW as my wife is expecting baby number 4 end of this month. but over the winter I plan on ordering my taylor kit. but being canukcistan it will cost me an arm and a leg.
or maybe my first born.

Yes rain does do a good job of aeration, you should thank it because it is helping you. Every time you add acid, your TA goes down a little. Until your TA comes down, you will most likely keep using lot's of acid. If you want to speed this up, you can use this process to lower TA.

topher said:
And no I do not have a good test kit yet. funds are VERY LOW as my wife is expecting baby number 4 end of this month. but over the winter I plan on ordering my taylor kit. but being canukcistan it will cost me an arm and a leg.
or maybe my first born.
I know money is tight, but I do not understand your logic, since most of us save some on chemicals, etc. and avoiding algae outbreaks (that can be very expensive) that pays back on the test kit very quickly. However, you canucks are over a barrel on the price they charge up there for the kits.

topher said:
for you backwards Americans. (join the rest of the world)
I here you! Many technical people down here, including myself use the metric system for most of our work. Why we didn't standardize on it as a country makes no sense.

topher said:
been a month since I have thrown in a bag of "shock" and used nothing but liquid chlorine. and I have to say I have NEVER seen a more clear pool ever. (once I got the Iron under control) however I am running a never ending battle with my PH and TA. as it comes out of the wall with a TA of 200 and PH of nearly 8 so I just keep hitting it with acid to try and get it down to 7.4-7.6 area. ANYWAYS it rained nearly 10 cm here today or 4 inches for you backwards Americans. (join the rest of the world) and my PH went up from 7.6 to over 8... so I tested the rain water. which happend to be 7.0-7.2... so I thought maybe the rain caused the water aerate? and raise the PH? it just made me angry I am tired of buying acid nearly every week!!! ARGH

or maybe my first born.

This is not a very nice statement!!!!!!!!!! :rant:

that was ment as a joke poolmama not to offend anyone :) I have some really good friends in Florida, Texas, Ohio, Washington, and Oregon. and we just make fun of eachother as we are all really family living in north America. but yet totaly different :) completely backwards to eachother.

I'm in the same boat with the TA and pH -- have a TA of 550 out of the tap :-o Keep up on the acid, can you ship a kit to a friend and make a visit to the states? Eh, that probably costs more than getting it. I bought a fountain to help with the aeration part of lowering the TA but you can also point the return jets up a bit to break the surface of the water. I'm still working at it, but have moved it from 550 to 300 in a couple weeks. Just bought another 6 pack of acid today - found it cheaper at the farm store than the pool or hardware store.

Good luck and congrats on the baby!