Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Algae groth in over chlorinated pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Algae groth in over chlorinated pool

I'm new to pools and have a black algae problem, at least I think it's bad I have shocked my pool (some times every other day) for a weak and a half - needless to say the pool is well over chlorinated (off the color chart) and the algae keeps on coming.

2,400 gal (12' x 36 ") - FILTER is a cartridge type skimmer - PUMP came with pool (Summer Escapes) - ABOVE GROUND -

2. Back To Top    #2
    Twin Cities, MN

Re: Algae groth in over chlorinated pool

Welcome to tfp, jimjd3

Are you sure it is black algae? What does it feel like? Is is slimy? Are you able to scrap the "head" off? If you want post some pictures, that may help with the diagnosis.

With that said, if it is black algae, you will need to do the shocking process.

To do this process an appropriate test kit is needed to be most efficient. See: I like the TF-100 most bang for the buck.

Pool school (link is in the upper right of each page) is the place to start. This is an article that may be helpful:
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

I goggled some more and found it wasn't black algae after all.

It's very dark green almost black buds about 3/16 in. around that kind of look like flowers they are free floating around on the bottom of the pool.

I should also mention I have a small above ground.

2,400 gal (12' x 36 ") - FILTER is a cartridge type skimmer - PUMP came with pool (Summer Escapes) - ABOVE GROUND -

4. Back To Top    #4

San Rafael, CA USA

Welcome to TFP!

You need a proper test kit and to report test results. If your CYA level is very high, then you may not even be shocking your pool, even though you think you are. See the Chlorine / CYA Chart and Defeating Algae.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

5. Back To Top    #5
    Antelope, CA

Can you fill in your profile and pool information so we all know what pool type/size/surface/pump/filter and location you are at. It really helps us to help you.

A couple notes, "Shock" is a product you buy in a store and not typically recommended here. "Shocking" your pool is a process described in the Pool School, and critical to the cleaning your cloudy or green pool.

If you have a small, Intex style pool and your water is clean and inexpensive, I am going to make SWAG and suggest you drain and refill, especially if you bought pucks or bags by the case or bucket and they have been you main source of chlorine. If you have expensive , well or pump water or a truck brings it, fixing it may be cheaper... but not always.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100