Please review my test results....thanks...

Jul 10, 2012
Herndon, VA
New owner of a 7 year old, 12,000 gallon, fiberglass pool.

Just took the sample and tested a few minutes ago:

Ph - 7.2

FC - 2

CC - .5

TA - 110

CH - 180

CYA - 32

I should add more bleach tonight to try to get the FC to around 4, correct?

Likewise, I should adjust the pH up to 7.6????

I suggest you raise FC ieach evening to about 6 or 7.
Keep FC between 3 and 6 and never below 3.

ph of 7.2 is fine and will come up on its own.

TA is fine - slightly above recommended, but fine.

CH should be raised to between 220 and 320.
This is recommended in FG pools to help prevent cobalt spotting.

Can we see a pic of your pool?

I would dose to 7
Pool calc should be giving you a range of 3 to 7 for FC
Should try to dose to highest number to help avoid going below the lower number if you miss dosing for some reason
You never want to go below 3 thatt 2 you just tested puts you at risk for algea to get started
Ta is ok
Ch I don't recall the recommended levels for fiberglass
Pool calc will give you the correct goals as long as you have updated the surface type

So, forget adding soda ash .............?
btw, we use borax to raise pH and baking soda to raise TA. When you want to raise your pH without raising the TA, use borax. Soda ash raises both pH and TA.

You can go to the PoolCalculator.com and figure what effect adding X-amount of chemicals has on your pool. The "Effects of Adding Chems" is near the bottom of the calculator.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Alright, so I added 1 gallon of 6% bleach....

Is there a certain way I'm supposed to be adding the bleach? I read somewhere on this forum that you should pour it in front of a return, towards the deeper end of the pool....???

or should I be walking around the perimeter of the pool and adding it?

So I added 1 gallon of 6% bleach last night, per the pool calculator recommendation.

Today's results:

pH - 7.3

FC - 6

CC - .5

I didn't bother doing the TA or CH test, as I assume they won't have changed since yesterday.

I did the CYA test outside, with the sun behind me, and came back with a CYA of 40.

As promised, here's a picture of my (now trouble free) pool!

GuinnessPhish said:
Alright, so I added 1 gallon of 6% bleach....

Is there a certain way I'm supposed to be adding the bleach? I read somewhere on this forum that you should pour it in front of a return, towards the deeper end of the pool....???

or should I be walking around the perimeter of the pool and adding it?
Well, many of us have added bleach both ways, but Pool School recommends pouring in front of a return.........
Bleach should be added to the pool by pouring slowly in front of a return jet with the pump running. You should pour slowly enough that pouring an entire jug takes more than one minute, preferably two minutes. Leave the pump running for at least 30 minutes after adding bleach.

Your pool looks great! :goodjob:

supertune said:
Keep your chlorine up to match the Chlorine/CYA chart and your pool looks really nice! :whoot:
I see your going to suffer from Sparklypoolitis! :party:

Chuck

In regards to maintenance, I should do a chlorine test at the end of the day when the pool is done being used? Based on the reading, and and looking at CYA of 40, I should shoot for a FC level of 7 or so, instead of the target of 5 listed on the chart?....

GuinnessPhish said:
In regards to maintenance, I should do a chlorine test at the end of the day when the pool is done being used?
Yes, that would be good.
Based on the reading, and and looking at CYA of 40, I should shoot for a FC level of 7 or so, instead of the target of 5 listed on the chart?....
Yes, with a CYA of 40, keep the FC between 3 and 7 and never below 3. So, I suggest you shoot for a FC of 7ish each evening.

My FC just tested at 3.5, so per the pool calculator, I added just about three quarts of 6% bleach to reach a FC of 7.

That's just about half of a 1.5 gallon container.....so...3/4 gallon? Does that sound about right for daily maintenance of a 12,000 gallon pool? How much 6% chlorine should I expect to put in a day?

I started the day with 6, or when I tested in the afternoon anyway..so it must have been 7 to start, as per what dosed at last night. Normal to lose 3.5 FC in 1 day with light swimmer load?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.