Jun 3, 2012
Today's results, using my awesome TF-100 Test Kit:
FC= .5
CC= .5
TC= 1.0
TA= 70
CH= 180
CYA= 70

Until today, I've always had crystal clear water, with no sign of slimey-ness on the pool wall...until today...yep, I have slightly cloudy water and the vinyl feels slimey-ish. It doesn't have any type of growth, or anything else visible. We added 2 3" chlorine tabs yesterday morning, but wasn't able to test the water until today. I entered the results in the pool calculator but I don't know what it's telling me apparently...or I'm "skeered" :?

I need to update my signature, we're finally dried up, no mud.

Your CYA level is getting fairly high already. If you continue using chlorine tablets it is going to get higher still and cause more serious problems than the one it is causing right now.

[shock:1fxzfvc2]You need to shock the pool. The sooner you start the less work it will be.[/shock:1fxzfvc2]

"involves raising the FC level to shock level" so that means to add shock until it FC reaches 28 after waiting an hour? And then I continue to test/shock each day until I pass the FC loss test?
And, finally; does the slight slimey-ness mean it's algea? We've been getting rain every day this past week, but since it wasn't the flooding rains we had been having, I didn't think of it causing my pool balance to mess up that quick. It really was perfect last weekend.
I apologize, I really have gone through Pool School several times, and continually go back for reference...this is the first time I've had any issues though; it's amazing how quick you (me) can lose your confidence! Thanks for the quick response too! I appreciate the site and you're help now.

Here at tfp shock is not a product
We recommend useing liguid chlorine (bleach, liguid chlorine from pool store) to do the shock process

Yes the process is dose chlorine to shock level test an hour later redose to shock level
After doing this several times you will start to see your fc level holding longer so you can adjust the frequency of testing and dosing as you go. Just ensure you keep your fc at shock level as often as possible
You will be done with the process after the following
Water is clear (no slim)
Pass an overnight chlorine loss test
Less then1 CC

Also slimmyness is a very strong sign of algea

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.