Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Free pool / Too much rust?

1. Back To Top    #1

Free pool / Too much rust?

Hi everyone,

We are being given a 15 x 30 Lomart that is about 12 years old. We have most of the pool at our house... my husband is still working on taking it down at his friends house. I am posting some pictures below of some rust. Before we pay for installation I want to make sure that there isn't too much rust. I'm thinking we can prime parts of the pool. Please let me know what you think.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Free pool / Too much rust?

Here is a picture of the pool before being taken down:
    Attached Images Attached Images

3. Back To Top    #3

Does not look too bad. I would knock the bad stuff off and use some rustoleum around the bottom, and on those footing plates.
    19204 Gallon L Shape with a 10X10 2nd Step Baja Ledge. Intellichlor IC-40, IntellipH, Cartridge Filter, Pentair Heater/Chiller (Heat Pump). Tons of Deck with Deck Jets. Construction Complete 6/5/17.

"If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

4. Back To Top    #4

That's what I was thinking too, elwood.

Everyone, let me know what you think of this RustOleum "Rust Reformer." http://rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=40 It is supposed to stop rust and prevent it from progressing. I'm thinking about using this followed by a matching color paint (not sure what's best).

Thank you.

Kim

5. Back To Top    #5

Rustoleum paint is fine. What the reformer product is unknown to me.

Your success will depend on preparation of the surface. As Elwood said, knock off the bad stuff (wire brush/sand paper) then coat with phosphoric acid (HD or Lowes). If white residue develops, wipe the white off with a damp cloth and reapply the phosphoric acid. Allow it to cure 8 to 12 hours, then paint. Some folks use a diluted solution in a large tank or bucket and let the parts soak, others use sprayers (old windex bottles or larger yard sprayers). Google car rust treatment for details and how much to dilute the acid with water. Your grass will love the acid, your concrete will not and use precautions to keep off yourself. What this does is coverts rust from iron oxide into something else (I am not much into chemistry) and paint will adhere to it. Good luck.
    My cement pond is a 36K gunite 20X40 built in mid 1960s, Hayward S244S filter, Aquarite SWCG, Jandy 1.5HP 2sp, TF-Test kit and Nitro Wall Climber

6. Back To Top    #6

I have good success with the reformer product
    Repainted my daughters swing set with it 2 years ago
    There was several rust spots that a sanded prior to painting plus I sprayed in the end of the poles
    I see no rust or rust rain water etc from any spot
    24' 52" Above Ground
    BBB
    LOVE TFP
    TF Test kits, Pool School, Pool Calculator