Engineering gunite pool shell

jtech1

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 9, 2009
Looking for some feedback on how you have seen pools engineered when you will be piling up a lot of dirt next to it. We will have a hill behind our pool... a cave/waterfall will be built into it with slide wrapping around it. It will not be one long run... it will have the cave structure at about 1/3 of the way along the back side of the pool (46' total). Depth will go from 3-6" to 5'-6".

I want to make sure it is engineered string enough to handle the lateral load the hill will exert on the pool side wall. The engineering calls for #4 rebar at 12" centers in both directions throughout the entire pool. And the walls will be shot at 8". The engineering plans do not specifically state that it is engineered for a 6' dirt pile next to the pool.

Anyone else who has a pool like this, I'd like to know if there was any extra rebar or engineering done to accommodate it.

Also, I have a sun shelf, that the plans show as only being on top of the dirt... but I think that at least the beam if not the entire shelf should be excavated and shot to below the frost line. Looking for feedback on that also.

jtech1 said:
The engineering plans do not specifically state that it is engineered for a 6' dirt pile next to the pool.
That's probably because the hill doesn't impact the horizontal loads very much. Unless the hill is right against the wall, most of the load will be carried vertically. Plus with 1/2" rebar will add extra support so I don't think there is anything to be concerned about.

If the pool is built with permits, then it requires engineering drawings which are backup by the engineering firm. If you have any questions, I would talk directly with them.

Yeah... there are engineering drawings... they do not show sun shelf to frost line... and they specifically state that pool is engineered for backfill not to exceed 2'6" above grade. Just having the PB tell me it will be OK is not enough for me. If there is ever an issue, they can just say we built it to plans... and the engineer can say, we told you it was not designed for more than 2'6" backfill above grade. I would feel more comfortable with the plans clearly stating that it is designed for the intended use that I have in my PB contract.

How about those of you with sun shelf in freeze areas... did they excavate the whole shelf to the frost line?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.