Please help me figure out how to get the green out

Alright guys, Im definitely a noob when it comes to maintaining a pool, I havent put a SINGLE thing in my pool yet and from the sounds of it i shouldnt use the HTH Steps i should use something else. I'm not sure if doing the test was unnecessary because i havent put anything in but these are the results, Please help me figure out how to get the green out of the pool!!!

Free Chlorine - 0/0 (Haven't added any)
pH - 8.4
Total Alk - 240

(I used the HTH 4-Way test Strips for the test)

The first step is to get the PH down to 7.2. Because this is a very large PH change, don't adjust the PH all in one step. Add perhaps half of what you think you need, give it an hour to mix in, test again, and continue adjusting from there.

Assuming the pool was recently filled and you haven't added any chemicals yet: The second step is to add some CYA. Target a starting CYA level of 30, give that a week, test the CYA level and adjust from there.

Was there a different method i should use instead of these HTH steps, if not since i already have these which one controls the PH level, the directions on the back of these are so confusing, it never says how much to actually put in, in ounces or anything. Also the test i have doesnt test the CYA, and i saw the TF-100 is 68 bucks =/ is there a cheaper test with CYA on it?

On the topic of test kits, there is at least one cheaper one that let you test CYA, but they cost about half as much and only let you test CYA 2 or 3 times, where there is probably enough reagent in the TF-100 kit to test 15-20 times (maybe more). I know that $68 price tag is scary, but it will likely be some the best money you have ever spent on your pool, and will pay for itself in savings on wasted chemicals and more importantly frustration in no time.

Ike

p.s. I looked it up, the TF-100 has enough reagent to do the CYA test 16 times, so I was close on my guess, there is also a supersizing XL option for the TF-100 for only about $11 extra (why do I feel like I should ask if you want fries with that?)

One TF test kit is typically less than one pool store trip.

The problem is all of the cheap test kits, cannot test any pool that needs to be shocked... so, if you have any algae or a cloudy pool, you cannot test and you are forced to guess... which is probably why you have a cloudy or green pool.

It's kind of a vicious loop and the least expensive way out is a $68 test kit, some knowledge and some grocery store chemicals.

Hi NathanJames and welcome to TFP! :)

Test kits hold the saying: 'go cheap', and it will cost you way more in the long run. There are countless postings here from people struggling trying to fix their pool with the cheaper test kits.
The TF-100 kit is the Snap-On tool of fixing, maintaining and preventing pool water problems.
I would suggest the XL option because of you already having a bad ugly green pool!

All the info and help you need is here.
Stay out of pool stores and get your own test kit and follow instruction here:
just-getting-started-f24.html

Go here for kits:
If budget is a concern, get the TF-50 here:
http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html
But with a green pool you may have to reorder supplies all depending how bad your pool water is and how efficient you learn to do this methods taught here.

I did have the same problem when I landed here 1 1/2 years ago. :oops:
I was very apparent to me I needed all the help I could get, this was all very overwhelming at the beginning. Now it has become so elementary and I'm now helping newbies like yourself.

By the way you just got some of the best advice ever... from all those here that taught me!
My pool does exactly what it's told to do now and I always have a perfect pool all the time screaming every minute to come swimming! :party:

Chuck

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.