Dead Algae? Fine dust...help.

Jun 20, 2012
Thanks everyone for all your help with turning my pool back to swimable and beautiful condition. After a CYA through the roof I drained/refilled and got the chemicals balanced. I've been maintaining for 3 weeks now and all seems to be well. Overnight test and all.

Except....

This fine dust that I can't seem to get rid of. It sits on the steps of the shallow end.

Here are my readings from my TF-100 test:

FC 5
pH 7.8
TA 110
CH 270
CYA 40

So this dust is not from outside source as I don't live in a dusty area. I think it might be dead algae. It's super fine and when I brush it, it will cloud up the immediate vicinity. It's usually ends up settling in the shallow end. It's too fine to be picked up by the vacuum. I have brand new cartridges in my filter. I suspect that my plumbing is a bit weak and my circulation is not optimal...but that's an entirely other issue. It works, it may not be optimal, but skimmers get all the surface things, and cartridges are definetly filtering things...

Anyway, how do I get rid of this stuff? Pool store and articles I've read suggest many chemicals, Pool floc, water clarifies, etc. Others say avoid these entirely.

What should I be doing to clear this last bit of micro silt which is preventing my pool from being crystal clear? Also, what will the suggested chemicals do to my water balance?

Thank you.

I've fought the same problem. I gave up. My water is always (knock on wood) balanced and I pass the random OCLT, so it is just some fine stuff that the filter and vacuum isn't getting. I use a skimmer sock and that helps after the water's been stirred up by swimming and I put an knee-high nylon in the hose when I vacuum to try and help catch stuff. But, other than that, I've just learned to live with it. It's not a lot and it's not clouding up the water, so I just chip away at it when I do vacuum and try to ignore it when I'm not.

I suspect that my plumbing is a bit weak and my circulation is not optimal...but that's an entirely other issue.
Perhaps, but maybe it's a contributor. Live algae will hang out in areas of poor circulation only to be killed and then fall to the floor when they are exposed to a little more filtration.

I'm guessing a little bit here but i would suggest you alter the eyeballs on your returns to simply change your circulation a bit....especially pointing a return at what might be a dead spot now.

If, after a couple of days, you see no change, then I would elevate the chlorine up to about 8ppm and hold it there for a couple of days and see if that helps.

Like you, I don't think it's dirt, either, but if it's dead algae, then we have to get some chlorine directed at the live algae that still remains in your pool.

Did you say you passed the OCLT? How long ago?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.