Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pipe slip seal?

1. Back To Top    #1

pipe slip seal?

my permanent cemented slip fitting for a union join on my underground pipe is leaking air into the system

I dont want to break it off or saw it off to replace it since its an underground pipe the risk it to high because of the cement slab around it

what should i use to seal the edges of the pipe?

duct tape does not work. I dont want to use toxic glue, I used super glue tape and it works but since its in direct contact with the elements it gets brittle quickly

the soil under the slab is slow eroding and the slab is dropping slowly over the years so the pump no longer sit flat on the plastic base for it to screw into .. I assume this is causing the fracture in the cemented slip pipe. Not a cheap fix but i need something to keep the air out untill i can get the erosion fixed.
    21X41, 30,000, ig, vinyl,48sf de, 1hp hayward super pump, 2" piping, 2 skimmers, 1 main inlet, 2 return, built in 1988, no enclosure, lots of trees around, direct sun. Thanks in advance to all who have answered my questions.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Athens, Greece

Re: pipe slip seal?

Use silicon sealer (lots of it), if you can keep the joint dry for a while.
    Donīt be fooled by the sheep on my bike, I swim with fish in my sound equipped pool.

3. Back To Top    #3
    South of Boston

26K In-ground Vinyl Pool | Hayward DE4820/SP0710XR50 filter | 1.125 HP Dual Speed Hayward Super Pump | Aquasol Solar

4. Back To Top    #4
    Lovettsville, VA

Getting it right is the best idea, but everyone should haver a roll of this stuff around the house (and in the car): ... escue+tape

It's called silicon rescue tape and it will seal anything! I developed a leak at one of the joints last year during the season and didn't want to take it apart during the swim season to fix it so I wrapped this around it and sealed it tight. Been a year now and it is still air tight and I've never bothered to replace the joint. They say you can wrap it around a hot, broken radiator hose or a leaking copper water pipe and it will seal right up - Awesome stuff!
    26,000 gallon IG Vinyl Lined, Hayward DE2400 Filter, Hayward SP2610X15 1/2 HP pump, Dolphin Sprite robot, open May to October

5. Back To Top    #5

I've been told that the next smaller PVC size will fit in to the larger size, working just like a slip joint. It's like the OD of a 3/4" PVC pipe is almost (but just slightly smaller) the same as the ID of a 1" PVC pipe. Easy-peasy slip joint.

Now, I'm no expert, so maybe somebody who knows what they're talking about can chime in.

I think, though, if this relationship is correct, you may not have as big a pipe problem as you thought.

Good luck!
    36K gallon 42X22 gunite/plaster kidney-shaped IG;
    1 hp Hayward Super Pump (new in 2012);
    Hayward S244T sand filter w/ Zeosand (both new in 2009);
    175K BTU LAARS Lite2 LG natural gas heater; Polaris 380;
    TF-100 test kit.