Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: new pool/new plaster/newbie

1. Back To Top    #1

new pool/new plaster/newbie

Just finished filling the pool with City water after the plaster was finished yesterday. I just tested the levels and here's what I've got. I was told that the city water wouldn't have much of anything and I guess they were right. I've got to get the PH down but everything else needs to come up......WAY up. Any thoughts?

FCL - .84
    CYA - 1
    PH - 8.2
    CH - 85
    TA - 48
    half Inground/half above ground, shotcrete pool, 19,000 gallons - KrystalKrete Krystal Blue quartz finish
    Pentair intelliflo variable speed pump - Pentair Easy Touch automation - Pentair T100 sand filter - Savi Melody LED lights - Mortex KoolDeck - Charleston, South Carolina

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: new pool/new plaster/newbie

Have you been given instructions for your new plaster start-up?

What are you testing with?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Congratulations!

Make sure you follow instructions from the builder because you do not want to do anything to void a warranty.

Your primary concern is keeping the pH in the 7's. You are going to need a lot of muriatic acid. Test daily and adjust pH as often as needed.

The easiest way to add FC and CYA to new plaster is trichlor pucks. It also helps keep the pH under control because it is acidic.

We suggest you add a start-up dose of sequesterant. See Pool School: pool-school/pool_plaster_start-up

Here's a link to National Plasterers' Org. Start-up Card: http://www.npconline.org/start-up-card
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

thanks for the quick replys. I built the pool myself so the only startup instructions are what's in this forums pool school. The plaster mfg (krystalKrete) said to keep the ph below 7 for the first month so I know I'll have to constantly add the muriatic acid.
    It's a salt water pool but the salt system won't be on for the first month. So about how many trichlor pucks do you think I would need to get me thru until I startup the salt generator? Or should I just go with bleach for the first month?

oh, and I'm testing with the Lamotte colorQ Pro 7
    half Inground/half above ground, shotcrete pool, 19,000 gallons - KrystalKrete Krystal Blue quartz finish
    Pentair intelliflo variable speed pump - Pentair Easy Touch automation - Pentair T100 sand filter - Savi Melody LED lights - Mortex KoolDeck - Charleston, South Carolina

5. Back To Top    #5

I advise not to maintain the pH below 7.0. Not good for new plaster. Better to follow the NPC guidelines that butterfly linked to. Keep the water balanced from day one.
    Trichlor tabs will add CYA which is needed. The amount of tabs needed depends on temperature and other issues. But probably around 2 or 3 per week. Bleach works also.