Mustard/green film on walls = algae?

guydot

Jul 17, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
I am still considering myself a newbie, although with the help of this forum I have been taking care of the pool by myself for the second season. My question:

Every week -10 days I see a mustard/green film on the pool walls, mainly in the deep end. It brushes off easily (creates a cloud when brushed). I used the "maintenance" dosage of algaecide occasionally and I do not think I saw any difference.

Is it algae or just dirt? What should I do? The water is pretty balanced, with PH currently at 7.8, as it tends to drift up every couple of weeks.

Thanks!

With a CYA level of 30, the minimum for your SWG is 2ppm.

Sounds like you're always at or below minimum. My bet is on algae and the need to begin shocking. Do you have a combined chlorine result? (TC-FC=CC).

Your FC level should be above minimum at all times. That means you need room to lose some chlorine if say... the sun comes out or people swim. I'd shoot for 5-6 ppm.

[center:26hxefk4]Aha! I see a clue!
file.php
[/center:26hxefk4]
guydot said:
SWG with Plaster:

FC 1.5- 2
pH 7.8
TA 70
CH 220
CYA 30 (I know, this is low)
Salt is at 2800
FC 1.5- 2 tells me you're using the color matching test. And even if it's right, it's wrong. With 30 CYA, normal FC is 2-6. You're below that, so you probably are just barely staying ahead of an algae bloom, and every week or 10 days it gets ahead of you.

You're a prime candidate for the Shock Process. But to do it effectively, you'll need a decent test kit (defined in Pool School) and the How-to directions in

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.