Jandy Ray Vac Problems

May 2, 2008
Does anybody have any experience with the Jandy Ray Vac pool cleaner? Mine is just going in circles, and has been doing that for some time. I've replaced all hose connections, replaced the "tail" and replaced the connection on the side of the pool. I've cranked the pressure up to around 30 lbs. This has helped some, but it still wants to stay in the middle of the pool. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Well first, you don't have the best pressure side cleaner made.

When mine goes in circles it means the filter net is dirty and must be cleaned. I've never had it go in circles with the net clean. With all the parts you've replaced; that's a bundle of money. I swear when my goes bad, I'm going to toss in the garbage and get a good cleaner. I figured you checked the inline screen.

First, I would reduce the pressure back to 20 lbs. Then try running it without the filter net in it. If it still goes in circles, go to next step.

Second, have someone hold the cleaner head out of the water; turn on the booster pump and see if you get 4 jets of water out of the back of the cleaner head. If one of the jets is not working that's your problem.

Third, disconnect the hose at the cleaner head; have someone hold it up while you start the booster pump and see what kind of flow out the cleaner hose you get.

Four, disconnect the reversing unit; hook it up to a garden hose and turn on the garden hose with low flow and watch the gears turn and see if all works right. While doing that; it should go into reverse every couple of minutes.

I would copy and paste their trouble shooting guide .... but they won't allow it to be copyed off their site.

their manual:

http://www.jandy-downloads.com/pdfs/H05551A.pdf

Have fun ...

Thanks for the response. Yeah, I've decided that buying the Ray Vac wasn't the best decision possible. I tried the Aqua Bot a few years ago, and it was very very slow.

The inline screen is clean, I check that every time I pull the cleaner out of the pool to clean the head.

I'll try the other things you mentioned soon. It's raining now, so I'll wait until tomorrow.

Do you have a recommendation of a good cleaner for a gunite pool, about 20,000 gallons, deepest part 5 1/2'?

Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.