Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replacing a Jandy 8124a?

1. Back To Top    #1

Replacing a Jandy 8124a?

Hi, I have a Aqualink RS 8124a (assembly 8125) board with a HIGH reading on the water sensor. Way high (115-degrees). The trouble shooting says to replace the power PCB. The original is a Assembly 8125 with a PPD 8156MMM. I have been given a used but working 8124a unit with a 8159K PPD.

Should I swap the PPD before I replace the unit? Or leave it alone. The replace unit I was given is a known working unit.

Also, I have seen a TECH note from Jandy/Waterpik that says I may be able to solve the problem by CLIPPING the 3 transorbs on the board (near the sensor header). Has anyone tried this fix?

Mark
    22,500 gallon, vinyl lined, cartridge, salt walter pool

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Replacing a Jandy 8124a?

As a test, swap the lead with the air sensor. If the temp drops to the air temp, its the probe, not the board.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

Good troubleshooting tip, but I confirmed It's the board. The sensor swap doesn't fix the issue. Jandy says in their tech note that there is a Transorb (1.5KE10A) across each sensor port which may be blown. Easiest fix is to just SNIP it off. I will try and replace it first since I have some transorbs on hand.

Also, Any idea what the PPD difference between a 8156 and a 8159 chip is? I know the "K" versus "MMM" software revision means, but no idea what a 8156 and 8159 chip. I assume that the letters is all that matters.
    22,500 gallon, vinyl lined, cartridge, salt walter pool

4. Back To Top    #4

Not a clue.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by markharris View Post
    Hi, I have a Aqualink RS 8124a (assembly 8125) board with a HIGH reading on the water sensor. Way high (115-degrees). The trouble shooting says to replace the power PCB. The original is a Assembly 8125 with a PPD 8156MMM. I have been given a used but working 8124a unit with a 8159K PPD.

Should I swap the PPD before I replace the unit? Or leave it alone. The replace unit I was given is a known working unit.

Also, I have seen a TECH note from Jandy/Waterpik that says I may be able to solve the problem by CLIPPING the 3 transorbs on the board (near the sensor header). Has anyone tried this fix?

Mark

Mark,

I tried to PM you but it looks like it didn't actually send. Please PM me re: your old Jandy board, I am interested in the old MMM chip if available.

Thanks,
    Russ