day 3 of shocking - am I getting close?

May 28, 2012
Have been shocking the pool for the past three days. According to pool calculator my recommended shock level is FC=15... which has been very challenging to reach and maintain. Today the pool water is looking very blue and clear.. although a tiny bit cloudy.

this mornings testings:
CYA = 50
FC = 7
CC = 0.5
PH = 6.9

1.4G of Bleach will bring my FC back up but I'm worried that my ph level will drop further in the process. Is this an acceptable sacrifice to make while shocking?

You can do it either way. The normal advice is to not worry about PH until you are done shocking. However, if you want to take a moment and raise the PH a little that is fine, as long as you go back to shocking later this morning.

With the water starting to clear up and CC at 0.5 or lower it sounds like you are nearly done. Tonight you should do an overnight FC loss test.

well it looks like I'm not completely done yet with shocking. The overnight FC loss test when from 18 to 11 overnight. with CC being less than 0.5.
There's two things I can think of that would make my testing less accurate. 1) I took last night sample from the filter box 2hours I had added 2.8Gallons of bleach - not sure how long I should wait for it all to dilute.
2) I shut the pump off overnight - the FC loss test instructions say to shutdown the SWG completely, but not the pump right? I think I made this mistake.

I will do another test in an hour to see if FC has dropped further than 11.

Ewok500 said:
1) I took last night sample from the filter box 2hours I had added 2.8Gallons of bleach - not sure how long I should wait for it all to dilute.

1 hour after adding Chlorine should be sufficient if the pump is running during this time from what I have understood reading about it and doing it at my pool. What does "sample from the filter box" mean? Typically you take a sample from under water (arms length at least). I take mine from the deep end where circulation is more limited than in other areas of the pool.

Ewok500 said:
2) I shut the pump off overnight - the FC loss test instructions say to shutdown the SWG completely, but not the pump right? I think I made this mistake.

Pump on 24x7 while shocking.
SWG is off so the OCLT is valid.

I have one of those kid safe automatic pool covers - so sometimes instead of pulling the cover all the back to take my sample I've been reaching into the filter basket. That's what I meant.
I'm beginning to think my FC=18 from last night was perhaps incorrect. I've just again 3 hours later from this morning's test and it's still reading FC=11 CC<0.5.

I'll check it again at the end of today and if I get the same FC reading then is it safe to assume I've killed all the organics?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.