Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: I think I added bad salt - how bad is it

1. Back To Top    #1

I think I added bad salt - how bad is it

Yesterday, a 40 pound bag of Sure Soft Solar Cube Plus was added to my pool. It is a yellow bag. Says 99.8% pure salt and only ingredient I see listed is Sodium Chloride. BUT, it says "Plus additive cleans resins" and on another part of the label, says:

The Plus Advantage
    Cleans Resin and Eliminates Odors
    HIgh Purity Minimizes Residue
    Prevents Rust Build-up and Stains
    Improves Performance
    Safe and Effective in All Water Softening Systems

Have I put in something that is:
    1. Not safe to swim in (already had my kids in it though . . .)
    2. Will in any way damage my new heater or pump

A quick search of their site does not reveal what the additive is.

Thanks for any insight.
    POOL: Intex ultra new in 2014 (32 x 16 x 52) (seasonal; on concrete pad covered with 1.5" extruded or whatever foam insulation sheets - ugly, but comfy); added a through-wall skimmer; I add salt for feel. EQUIPMENT: Pentair SuperFlo pump (1HP, 2SPD); Pentair cartridge filter (200 sq. ft); Pentair MasterTemp natural gas heater (400,000 btu) Climate/Location: Eastern Nebraska

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: I think I added bad salt - how bad is it

go to msds.com and enter the UPC, you might find the additives there.
    18x36 Vinyl In-ground w/roman ends 27,400G, Hayward 3/4hp with 300# sand filter. Hayward heat pump heater

Pool School
    Pool Calculator
    Test Kits

3. Back To Top    #3

Most of these claims on the bags are mainly due to the products reported purity, and not due to some secret additives. At the end of the day, most of them are just salt. At 99.8% pure salt, that does not leave much of the 40 pounds for other stuff (less than 2 oz).

Deluting whatever you did add by 15,000 gallons of water means you are likely fine. More atmospheric contaminants find their way into your pool every day.
    19204 Gallon L Shape with a 10X10 2nd Step Baja Ledge. Intellichlor IC-40, IntellipH, Cartridge Filter, Pentair Heater/Chiller (Heat Pump). Tons of Deck with Deck Jets. Construction Complete 6/5/17.

"If you don't measure it, you can't manage it!"

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok, re-visited their website and found msds tab (thanks Ross - didn't know what that was before) - ingredients listed there are solely sodium chloride; but, then in the toxicological section it gets murky to me - something about LC50 and Oral LD50 -- I don't know if that is a separate ingredient, or what. Anyway, says not toxic so I'm guessing all is well. Anyone able to confirm/correct?

Not sure if there even is an additive - so how/why do they advertise it as such?

Here is a link to the page to select Sure Soft Solar Cube Plus and the msds will open as pdf.
    http://www.nasalt.com/products/msds/

Thank you.
    POOL: Intex ultra new in 2014 (32 x 16 x 52) (seasonal; on concrete pad covered with 1.5" extruded or whatever foam insulation sheets - ugly, but comfy); added a through-wall skimmer; I add salt for feel. EQUIPMENT: Pentair SuperFlo pump (1HP, 2SPD); Pentair cartridge filter (200 sq. ft); Pentair MasterTemp natural gas heater (400,000 btu) Climate/Location: Eastern Nebraska

5. Back To Top    #5

LD50 is a toxicology term for Lethal Dose 50%. Meaning, the dose required to kill 50% of the population. LC50 is Lethal Concentration 50%, same but at concentration level.

The LD50 and LC50 figures are used to indicate a substance's toxicity. MSDS's are less intended for substance general information of ingredients than they are for safety and toxicity information. They are Material Safety Data Sheets, used to be required to be readily available in every workplace, for every substance present or in use in any main or satellite location of a workplace in paper form. I bet electronic copies are ok now.

I think your salt is fine.
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

6. Back To Top    #6

You're perfectly fine.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks, all. Water is perfect. Slight salt taste (which I like) and skin feels great getting out. I will avoid the salt with "additives" on the label in the future, but I'm not entirely sure anything other than salt was in there.

8. Back To Top    #8

It should not be a problem.

The solar salt crystal stuff is cheaper, and dissolves faster than the pellets.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.