New Pool

Matt k

Jul 15, 2012
Greenfield, Mass
Just purchased a new pool, as you will see below, My PH level is fine as well as my FC, after 3 weeks of my pool being open and a professional water test was done , my pool guy (Business) tells me to add Alkalinity and CH too my pool, of course he tells me to do so in small and spaced out times, I guess my question is since my pool water is clear are these chemicals necessary ?
And since I have a DE filter when should I change the powder inside,

I hope I gave the right information , very overwhelming whit all the chemicals that one needs to swim in a pool

Welcome to TFP! CH does not really matter in a vinyl pool. Your TA should be in the 70-90 range. Can you post all of the test results? The whole chemical and testing thing is very easy once you understand what is going on in your pool. I suggest you do 2 things right of the bat. First, order yourself one of the recommended test kits so you can test the pool yourself and then read the Pool school. There is a link to the test kits everywhere, including in my signature and the pool school button is in the top right of the page.

As Ross said, CH isn't needed in a vinyl pool.

Without actual numbers it's impossible to know what you need. Also, not being harsh, but telling us everything is fine doesn't mean anything to us. We need the real numbers.

To answer your question, even though the water is clear it may not be sanitized.

There actually isn't very many chemicals needed once you understand what chemical does what. The only thing I ever add to my pool is very little muriatic acid and chlorine.

You need to make a couple of adjustments but nothing serious.

Your FC is at the low end of recommended. I'd raise it a couple of ppm.

You TA is a little low and I suggest raising it to about 70 ppm with baking soda.

15 lbs is over twice as much as you needed. You really need to read pool school and learn to use the pool calculator. You also need a good test kit as mentioned above.

Use bleach to increase the FC. How do you normally chlorinate your pool

Tablet Chlorinator that I believe is dispensing too much chlorine in my pool, I can feel it , I have adjusted the feeder. They ( the business) told me to fill up the dispenser with pucks and place the knob on 1/2, run the pump for twelve on twelve off.

When I went for my first water test the "Business" told me to add 30 LBS of Alkalinity to my pool to boost my TA , this is all based on my (above) test.
Trying to work with the pool calculator, and of course I need a better test kit.

A better test will make your life much easier. And your testing will enable you to take control of your pool.

I highly suspect the test results you have. Since you use tablets exclusively, I suspect your CYA level is much higher than 35 ppm.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.