Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: High TA fill water

1. Back To Top    #1

High TA fill water

I am having a similar issue, and I think the high TA fill water is also the culprit. My fill water is TA 140, which I just measured for the first time today. I can knock my PH down to 7.0 or less with a gallon of 14.5% MA, aerate over the weekend with my aerator water falls, and bring the TA down to 70 and PH to 7.6, but then in a few days or maybe a week I am back above 7.8 and TA 100. It was making me crazy until I checked the fill water today.

Any suggestion what to do about TA if your fill water is high TA? I think the answer will be "stock up on MA". Ugh. I was hoping to add borates, but now I am thinking that will just make it harder to bring down the PH and TA when they inevitably drift up.
    13,000 ga, In Ground plaster, Hayward Sand filter, In floor pop ups, Barracuda G3
    Waterfall on separate pump
    Taylor K-2006 or Aquacheck 5 flavor strips

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: High TA fill water

With high TA fill water, and comparatively high evaporation rates, getting an automatic acid feed system is probably a good idea.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: High TA fill water

Is it a bad idea to use borates with my TA fill water level?
    13,000 ga, In Ground plaster, Hayward Sand filter, In floor pop ups, Barracuda G3
    Waterfall on separate pump
    Taylor K-2006 or Aquacheck 5 flavor strips