Pump running HOT, when it runs

May 1, 2008
I've got a Centurion pump, Part # 7-168453-24, 3450 RPM. The other day when I was backwashing the DE filter, I turned the pump off to reset the valve. When I went to turn it back, it just buzzed and nothing. Tapped it with the handle of a screwdriver, and it stopped buzzing but didn't work. Happened to touch it and it was WAY too hot to touch.

Turned off the switch, and let the pump cool down overnight. Took it all apart today to make sure the impeller wasn't jammed. It is was clear and the shaft turns just fine. No grinding, no binding. Put it all back together and it now turns on just fine. Turned it off and figured I'd better ask as to why it was running so hot.

Looking at the case, from the impeller side, the right side of the case, below the starting capacitor is brown, in an oblong shape, whereas the rest of the case is still black. I'm thinking its been running hot for several weeks/months.

Anyway, any thoughts about what is going on?

Thanks in advance.

Bill

I also have a centurion/AO smith pump, and the "buzzing" sound, did it sound like a motor TRYING to turn but being held? My motor did this about 6 months or so ago. what happened was that the spring for the impeller had gone bad and the impeller was jammed against the motor body. when I removed it from the pump assembly, it would loosen up enough to turn slightly, it was when the water pressure hit it that it would do this. replaced the shaft seal and voila, works perfect.

Only buzzing from the starting cap

Took the pump all apart yesterday after it was cool enough to touch. No debris in the impeller. Got new gaskets, re-assembled and she is running like new. still running a little hot to the touch but only in one area as mentioned in the first post.

Oh well. Guess I'll run it until it either seizes up or bursts into flame :shock:

Bill W

I personally would go ahead and replace the shaft seal as well, I should have mentioned that it was only $11 installed from the pool store. Even if it wasn't the direct problem, its like replacing the gaskets....

Make sure you are getting proper water flow to the pump. The water flowing through helps somewhat to cool things down. Also make sure the vents on the side of the motor arent obstructed or clogged.

I have a similar problem- my pump runs very hot to the touch. No noises, but it i kneel very close to it and take a whiff- i can start to smell the burning.

The pump has run hot for over a year, but the light smell is very new. Do you think it is time to look into a new one or can something like this be fixed?

I have a 1.5 Hayward pump for a 32K Gal gunite pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.