TA=300
    CH= 700
    CYA=25ppm
    Any tips would be greatly appreciated

Thanks Eric

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New pool. New to site and clueless about pools

Welcome to TFP!

I very much hope that your CC result is wrong. You need to move along fairly quickly when doing the FC/CC test with high FC levels or you can get false high results.

If FC is anywhere near 33 the PH test result is invalid. Wait until FC is 10 or lower and then measure PH again. Once you can measure PH, lower it to 7.2.

Your TA and CH levels are both very high. You will need to start working on lowering TA right away. Or perhaps your TA result is wrong as well. On the TA test, try wiping the tip of the dropper bottle with a damp tissue every couple of drops and see if the result changes.

CYA is a little low. The recommended level is 30 to 50.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome!

You're a rare bird - you have the test kit first!

I hope that's a typo or a testing error.. is 25 CC for real? Anyway.... your pH reading can't be trusted if your FC is 33. Why so high? Is the pool green?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes the pool has a greenish brown tint

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp water
    Yes the pool has a greenish brown tint
    Tint, or cloudy? You may have metals in the water, and all the chlorine has caused it to show. That will be clear but colored water. That requires metal sequestrant.

If the CC is really 25, then I suspect the water is pretty murky, which means algae. If the CH number is also correct, you better think about draining some water and refilling. And not use any Calcium Hypochlorite "shock".

If not overloaded with CH, your CYA level is fine, and you need to maintain FC above 12 until the water clears. There's no point overloading the pool with bleach, it will bleach out your vinyl liner (if it hasn't already) and it loses strength by percentage, rather than as a fixed parts per million per day, to sunlight.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Tried it again

FC =29
    CC= 1.5
    TC= 30.5

Better?

7. Back To Top    #7

Tried it again

FC =29
    CC= 1.5
    TC= 30.5

Better?
    What about CH and TA?

8. Back To Top    #8

TA 280

The CH took along time to get a proper result the first time
    I had to use the half distilled water method
    I will head back into the lab and work on trying it again

Thanks

9. Back To Top    #9

Latest test CH 500?

10. Back To Top    #10

I see a partial drain and fill in your future.

Your pool is small enough that it won't cost a fortune, unless you're on a well.

11. Back To Top    #11

I have a pump jack style well with a holding tank I pump out of for water
    Can I test this water somehow to see if it ok to use for filling

If I am to drain the pool how much water?
    What are my options if my water source is poor?

12. Back To Top    #12

I have a pump jack style well with a holding tank I pump out of for water
    Can I test this water somehow to see if it ok to use for filling

If I am to drain the pool how much water?
    What are my options if my water source is poor?
    I'm a city slicker, no firsthand experience with well water. You might want to use the search box for "well water" and see what others have posted.

13. Back To Top    #13

Some (perhaps many) wells contain high amounts of iron or copper, but the only thing that matters here is how is the water in YOUR well. Unfortunately metals testing from pool stores, etc. is at best unreliable, and professional water testing can be slow and expensive (although it may well be worth it if your family is drinking water from this well).

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~