Leaking pump - new pool owners

Jul 14, 2012
Well, we have a Jacuzzi LR 80980 pump for a small in-ground pool which is located in a three season sun room. The pool came with the house we purchased last year, so we are complete newbies at pool-ownership. We did manage to open the pool ourselves and deal with the water chemistry but are still battling cloudiness (after shock/floc and constant filtering) The pump had been working fine until recently. Then there was water on the floor. I have noticed a small leak at the bottom of the back of the pump. The leak continues all the while the pump is running. (pic 1)
232323232%7Ffp63589%3Enu%3D3332%3E963%3E969%3EWSNRCG%3D3848%3C%3A%3B27%3B336nu0mrj

While looking further, I noticed the gap between two parts of the filter - see the area just above the red and blue band - there is a copper-colored spinning rod in there, and on the left hand side (in the photo) there is a large rubber piece/thick o-ring? that is spitting water out while the filter runs. Is this the source of the leak? Is this a matter of needing a new o-ring?
232323232%7Ffp635%3C8%3Enu%3D3332%3E963%3E969%3EWSNRCG%3D3848%3C%3A%3A9%3B7336nu0mrj
We are not sure, and it seems to me that the pump may need to be disassembled (eep!) Any recommendations or insight would be so very greatly appreciated.

could be shaft seals and possible a housing gasket. If you have a motor repair shop in your area I would have them service it and probably get new bearings in the process as when the seal fails the bearings get wet and start to rust. Jacuzzi is out of business so some parts are getting hard to find.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.