crazy animals?

topher

Jun 24, 2012
toronto, Ontario, Canada
my pools been open for a month and a bit. this year so far I have had 5 frogs, 1 cat (stray) 1 rabbit, a toad, and a mouse all found in the morning. just wondering if anyone else is finding crazy suicidal animals? I'm not doing anything new just adding a litre of bleach every day as I need it. (havnt had any animals fora few weeks until this morning I went to go empty my skimmer basket and a frog jumped out at my face. I screamed like a school girl. it's odd. My pool Is clear so its no swamp. never in 5 years since I lived here. and the 10 or so years that the old owners lived have they ever found any animals floating in the pool.. just really odd....

I have had over the years, birds, a crawdad, a copperhead, a baby rabbit, a turtle, many mice, few chipmonks, spiders big & small, sweat bees by the thousands & other bees/wasps, frogs big & small - several every single day, lizards and many unidentified scary bugs. Squirrels drink from the deep end of the pool.

Never, ever stick your finger through the hole of the skimmer cover to lift it off. The 18" copperhead was curled inside the skimmer on that tiny ledge. I have a tool to lift out the skimmer basket. The snake incident scarred me for life. :shock:

@topher.. I have to apologize to you. When I read your post, I burst out laughing. I know, I know... It is SOOO NOT funny, but that same thing happened to me the other day. (Not with the skimmer, with a flower pot.) I landed on my arse, screaming bloody murder.

I will be making a hook to lift the skimmer cover. Thanks for the heads up!

Ok.. so this morning a baby snake shoots out of the skimmer into the pool as I was just about to open the skimmer lid.
I watched him swim down to other end of the pool, then I went to get the coat hangers to lift the skimmer lid off.
I didn't see that snake anywhere after that. He wasn't in the other skimmer, and I don't know that he was big enough to get out. I'm just wondering - where could he be hiding? In a return? Can they hide under the ledge where the tile is? Maybe he got out.. but he was only the size of a pencil - maybe a little longer.

imrodee said:
Ok.. so this morning a baby snake shoots out of the skimmer into the pool as I was just about to open the skimmer lid.
I watched him swim down to other end of the pool, then I went to get the coat hangers to lift the skimmer lid off.
I didn't see that snake anywhere after that. He wasn't in the other skimmer, and I don't know that he was big enough to get out. I'm just wondering - where could he be hiding? In a return? Can they hide under the ledge where the tile is? Maybe he got out.. but he was only the size of a pencil - maybe a little longer.

Look in the pump basket...carefully.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Unusual animals = brown bat, rat snake, armadillo (still alive, but completely worn out from treading water in the wading pool)

Finding the rat snake was a heart-stopper, as I'd just hand-scooped a TON of leaves out of 3 skimmers into a 5-gallon bucket with my hand. THEN I see the snake in the bucket.
:shock:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.