Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: crazy animals?

1. Back To Top    #1

crazy animals?

my pools been open for a month and a bit. this year so far I have had 5 frogs, 1 cat (stray) 1 rabbit, a toad, and a mouse all found in the morning. just wondering if anyone else is finding crazy suicidal animals? I'm not doing anything new just adding a litre of bleach every day as I need it. (havnt had any animals fora few weeks until this morning I went to go empty my skimmer basket and a frog jumped out at my face. I screamed like a school girl. it's odd. My pool Is clear so its no swamp. never in 5 years since I lived here. and the 10 or so years that the old owners lived have they ever found any animals floating in the pool.. just really odd....
    13500 gallon AG, build late 90's, Hayward S220T sand filter,1Hp aqua coastal
    Gasser BBQ broilmate 155154 LP, Smoker CGK (akorn)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: crazy animals?

We had a dead baby bird so far this year and some spiders and bees.........I don't think I could handle anything bigger than that......lol
    16 x 34 inground vinyl pool
    Hayward 1 hp super pump
    200s Hayward Sand filter

3. Back To Top    #3

I have had over the years, birds, a crawdad, a copperhead, a baby rabbit, a turtle, many mice, few chipmonks, spiders big & small, sweat bees by the thousands & other bees/wasps, frogs big & small - several every single day, lizards and many unidentified scary bugs. Squirrels drink from the deep end of the pool.

Never, ever stick your finger through the hole of the skimmer cover to lift it off. The 18" copperhead was curled inside the skimmer on that tiny ledge. I have a tool to lift out the skimmer basket. The snake incident scarred me for life.
    16k 17X33 IG Vinyl(2000), Pentair Intellifo Variable Speed Pump(2006), Hayward Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG w/T9 cell(repl 7/2011), Hayward Natl Gas Heater, TF100 w/magnetic stirrer

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Saltypool
    The 18" copperhead was curled inside the skimmer on that tiny ledge.

Thanks for the heads up...would never have thought about that!
    -Gordon
    Pool School helps me maintain my 13,500G 24' x 48" ASP with Sand Filtration using a TF100 Test Kit and Pool Calculator.
    Remember, the Shock Process should be followed until : 1. CC is less than 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less and, 3. The water is crystal clear.
    --I didn't buy my pool to swim in it. I bought my pool to watch my wife swim in it. :wink:

5. Back To Top    #5

2 crazy dogs
    Attached Images Attached Images
    17,000 gal inground
    vinyl
    swg
    3hp 8 returns
    heat siphon heat pump

6. Back To Top    #6

Wheeeeeee!
    Angie M.
    AG, 26' x 52" Intex Ultra Frame, vinyl, 14667 gal. And LOVING it!!! Hayward S15922S 1HP, 2SP pump and Hayward S220T Sand Filter. Hard plumbed with PVC, added second return, intex SWG, Hydro Pool widemouth skimmer. Set up in May 2012!
    N.E. Florida. TF100 - Best investment EVER! (Well, for the pool anyway)

7. Back To Top    #7

@topher.. I have to apologize to you. When I read your post, I burst out laughing. I know, I know... It is SOOO NOT funny, but that same thing happened to me the other day. (Not with the skimmer, with a flower pot.) I landed on my arse, screaming bloody murder.

I will be making a hook to lift the skimmer cover. Thanks for the heads up!
    Helen
    Dallas Area, 16,000 gal IG, Easytouch 8 computer, Intelliflo 3HP Variable Speed pool pump, Pentair Smart Pump 4x160, Pentair 3/4 HP Booster Pump, FNS 60 DE 60, Mastertemp 400, Rainbow 320, Dual Timer w/ freeze protection, Intellichor SWG, TF100 Test Kit, POOL FILLED AUG 3, 2012, ORDER YOUR TF100 KIT FROM http://tftestkits.net
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/under...ie-t49936.html

8. Back To Top    #8

Ok.. so this morning a baby snake shoots out of the skimmer into the pool as I was just about to open the skimmer lid.
    I watched him swim down to other end of the pool, then I went to get the coat hangers to lift the skimmer lid off.
    I didn't see that snake anywhere after that. He wasn't in the other skimmer, and I don't know that he was big enough to get out. I'm just wondering - where could he be hiding? In a return? Can they hide under the ledge where the tile is? Maybe he got out.. but he was only the size of a pencil - maybe a little longer.
    Helen
    Dallas Area, 16,000 gal IG, Easytouch 8 computer, Intelliflo 3HP Variable Speed pool pump, Pentair Smart Pump 4x160, Pentair 3/4 HP Booster Pump, FNS 60 DE 60, Mastertemp 400, Rainbow 320, Dual Timer w/ freeze protection, Intellichor SWG, TF100 Test Kit, POOL FILLED AUG 3, 2012, ORDER YOUR TF100 KIT FROM http://tftestkits.net

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by imrodee
    Ok.. so this morning a baby snake shoots out of the skimmer into the pool as I was just about to open the skimmer lid.
    I watched him swim down to other end of the pool, then I went to get the coat hangers to lift the skimmer lid off.
    I didn't see that snake anywhere after that. He wasn't in the other skimmer, and I don't know that he was big enough to get out. I'm just wondering - where could he be hiding? In a return? Can they hide under the ledge where the tile is? Maybe he got out.. but he was only the size of a pencil - maybe a little longer.
    Look in the pump basket...carefully.
    In the industry, CSP (Certified Service Professional) by the NSPI and it's successor the APSP. My company services over 600 pools every year. I think the practices regularly espoused on this forum (especially the BBB method) are outstanding; however my comments will be often oriented towards the goal of getting it done, and getting it done right now!

10. Back To Top    #10

TU!
    Helen

11. Back To Top    #11

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by imrodee

TU!
    YW

Was it there?
    In the industry, CSP (Certified Service Professional) by the NSPI and it's successor the APSP. My company services over 600 pools every year. I think the practices regularly espoused on this forum (especially the BBB method) are outstanding; however my comments will be often oriented towards the goal of getting it done, and getting it done right now!

12. Back To Top    #12

Unusual animals = brown bat, rat snake, armadillo (still alive, but completely worn out from treading water in the wading pool)

Finding the rat snake was a heart-stopper, as I'd just hand-scooped a TON of leaves out of 3 skimmers into a 5-gallon bucket with my hand. THEN I see the snake in the bucket.
    In-ground Plaster 40' X 80' 144K gallon pool w/ 2 pumps (old Challenger bronze and newer Challenger II plastic) and 2 large sand filters (Pentair Triton 140's). Built in '85, in bee-yootiful shady Buffalo Gap, West Texas.