Tri-Chlor Pucks in the skimmer basket, bad idea?

ctakim

May 27, 2012
Phildelphia, PA
Okay so I only use Tri-chlor pucks sparingly and I keep a close watch on my CYA (currently below 20). I also supplement with liquid bleach as needed. But my question is when I use the Tri-chlor pucks is it a bad idea to put them in the skimmer basket? I presume that it may run higher concentrations of chemicals through the filter, especially at start up of the pump, but I'm not sure how bad this is.

My only alternative is to use one of those floaty things since I don't have an in line chlorinator.

Any advice for what I should use for Tri-chor pucks?

Before I switched to BBB, I put pucks in the skimmer for over 20 years with no problems. CYA got out of whack this year due to using too much granulated chlorine to shock the pool at startup, so I switched to liquid chlorine as my primary source. Next year if my CYA starts low as it does every year, I will probably use pucks again until CYA reaches 50 and then switch to liquid chlorine. And I will probably put them in the skimmer again.

Some people have reported problems with their copper heat exchangers and their pump seals after using Trichlor in the skimmer, but they were using standard Trichlor pucks and had on/off pump cycles. There are some types if Trichlor sticks (BioGuard® Silk Smart Sticks®) that don't dissolve much when there is no water flow so are presumably safe for the skimmer.

Our recommendations are normally based on what works for most people in most situations. The acidity of Trichlor is not a good thing when dissolving in a skimmer -- not good for the area near the skimmer and not good downstream when the pump goes on. I used Trichlor pucks in a floating dispenser in my pool years ago and the dispenser "parked" itself near some stainless steel bars I have in the pool and it rusted the mounts closest to the feeder (we're talking about 1-2 feet away, not right next to it). Those same mounts are STILL rusting 8 years after I used that Trichlor while the others that were away from the pucks are still perfectly fine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.