First set of tests for new pool - edit second night - weird

tick221

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2011
I got my 24 ft matrix up and running today and ran a full test, below are the results

FC 0
PH 7.5
TA 70
CH 50
CYA 0

I've got stabilizer in socks hanging in front of the return which according to PC will bring my CYA to 40. I went with this as a starting point and will raise to 50 if need be, The pool gets full sun all day long but the temps haven't been too bad to were I want to take it straight to 50. I also added my bleach to the according shock level for a CYA of 40 so I think I'm good there. My question is my TA and CH are at the low end of the acceptable range but do they need to be a little higher??

Thanks to any and all that reply

PS - Pump is running on low right now because high scares me(that thing moves some water). Should I run it on high when I add chems or is it fine on low?

Re: First set of tests for new pool

sounds like you got a grasp on things to me my TA is 70 also and that is my pools sweet spot but all pools are different as far as ch it seems a little low to me and running your pump on low should be fine, im sure someone will be along shortly to correct me if i'm wrong....lol.....you can never read too much might i suggest reading pool school again, everytime i read it i learn something new.......Mike

Re: First set of tests for new pool

Your TA & CH numbers look fine. You can recheck TA again in a week or so and see how it is doing. The CH can be zero in vinyl pool and still be fine.

Lots of folks run their pumps on low until they vacuum. Adding chems while pump is on low is fine, just add them slowly infront of a return.

Congrats on your new pool and you know we want to see a pic! :-D

Re: First set of tests for new pool - edit second night - we

Second night tests are in the book.

ph 7 (bucket of water and borax mixing to bring it up to 7.5)
fc 16 ( I tested 3 times throughout the day and the fc never dipped)
cc 0
ta 70
ch 40
cya 40-50 (whoever came up with the sock in front of the return is a genius)

So whats going on here??? I added bleach to shock level last night and it stayed at shock levels all day long, this was with temps in the 80's and us swimming. I added enough stabilizer to bring my cya up to 40 and most of it had dissolved into the pool today which is why my test today showed results.

All the reading I'm seeing makes me think that I'm done with the shock process after one night?? That can't be right can it?? The water is beyond clear and I know I should try the OCLT but I am so far from a 5am person LOL.

I think I'm going to keep things at shock levels for a few more days just to be safe but was wondering what you all would think

thanks again

Re: First set of tests for new pool - edit second night - we

If it's brand new water and you put enough bleach in for shock levels you never gave anything a chance to grow. You killed it before it ever got started. Good job.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.