Ch is high?

Steve737

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 25, 2011
Montgomery Texas
Ok guys here are the numbers.

FC is 9.0 been cloudy and left to pump on for three days straight by accident usually 4.0
Ph is 7.4
Ta is 70
Ch is 480 to 520!!!
Cya 75
Salt 3200

We have hard water obviously but the water has always tested in range. What's happening?

We have had a lot of rain as of late. Should I worry about he ch I tested it three times that is the low and high's of the tests. Steve

Check your fill water CH level. If there are noticeable fill water levels of CH, CH levels in the pool will go up any time you add water to replace evaporation. Water evaporates, but the CH does not, and then fill water brings more CH along with.

CH around 500 isn't too bad. As long as your TA doesn't go up and you keep PH below 8.0 you should be alright. If CH continues to go up you will need to take additional steps to keep things under control.

Hey Jason,

Well I finally checked the fill ch and it's 190. My new numbers as of today are:

Ph 7.5
FC 3.5
Ta 70
Ch 560
CYA 50
Salt 3000

Pool temp 89

Water looks great. I'm wondering if maybe I have some metals in the water would that cause the ch to read high. Thanks Steve

That's not high to me! You live in a hard water state.

You're one of us who has to actually pay attention to the CSI number at the bottom of the page. Play with it a little; you'll see that pH affects it the most. Keep that under control and you'll be fine. Take advantage of any rainwater you may get, as it's CH-free.

I don't think that your CH can be affected by any metal other than calcium. That is why TDS readings are of such little value since other metals such as magnesium (and whatever else was in the water) contributed to the end value. It's just that with a cartridge filter, things like CH continue to rise with water additions to top off. With your fill water having such a high CH, I would imagine that it doesn't take long for your CH to get up there quickly.

Off topic -- Steve737, I'd love to see your fire pits. How about a thread with photos?

We have moved some furniture over toward the pool and now there is a paved corner of the yard that is begging for a firepit. I hate to get smokey clothes so I am pushing for a nat. gas fire pit, we have a gas line on that side of the house. Husband likes to play with fire and wants wood.

I'd love to see how you set it up.

anonapersona said:
I wonder if your MUD has changed water sources?

Always worthy of consideration. I know that depending on the time of year, our water comes from more than one source and each source has its own characteristics with regard to things like TA and CH.

Great info thanks! The mud question is interesting, I never thought of that! I will try getting some photos of the pool. And fire features. Also I'll try to show off the coping (quartzite). We are really happy with the results. The last time I tried to post some pics it kept saying the photos are to big! I'll figure it out. Steve

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.