Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ch is high?

1. Back To Top    #1

Ch is high?

Ok guys here are the numbers.

FC is 9.0 been cloudy and left to pump on for three days straight by accident usually 4.0
    Ph is 7.4
    Ta is 70
    Ch is 480 to 520!!!
    Cya 75
    Salt 3200

We have hard water obviously but the water has always tested in range. What's happening?

We have had a lot of rain as of late. Should I worry about he ch I tested it three times that is the low and high's of the tests. Steve
    24X38'ish 23,500 gallon Geometric with 10x10 spa(12jets), Pentair IC40 SWG, Pentair intelliflow(pool-spa), pentair whispersflow 2HP(booster spa jets), Two Polaris 1.5 Hp blowers, Pentair Wisperflow XF 3HP(2 6 foot water falls), Pentair clean&clear plus 520, Pentair Master temp 400. Intelli PH acid dispenser, Intellitouch with iPhone and iPad control. Two 45000 BTU fire bowls and one 60000 BTU fire pit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Ch is high?

Check your fill water CH level. If there are noticeable fill water levels of CH, CH levels in the pool will go up any time you add water to replace evaporation. Water evaporates, but the CH does not, and then fill water brings more CH along with.

CH around 500 isn't too bad. As long as your TA doesn't go up and you keep PH below 8.0 you should be alright. If CH continues to go up you will need to take additional steps to keep things under control.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Jason I'll check the fill water. I'm assuming it's high. I wonder if I'll have to put in a water softener or something like that? I'll report back tomorrow. Steve
    24X38'ish 23,500 gallon Geometric with 10x10 spa(12jets), Pentair IC40 SWG, Pentair intelliflow(pool-spa), pentair whispersflow 2HP(booster spa jets), Two Polaris 1.5 Hp blowers, Pentair Wisperflow XF 3HP(2 6 foot water falls), Pentair clean&clear plus 520, Pentair Master temp 400. Intelli PH acid dispenser, Intellitouch with iPhone and iPad control. Two 45000 BTU fire bowls and one 60000 BTU fire pit.

4. Back To Top    #4

Hey Jason,

Well I finally checked the fill ch and it's 190. My new numbers as of today are:

Ph 7.5
    FC 3.5
    Ta 70
    Ch 560
    CYA 50
    Salt 3000

Pool temp 89

Water looks great. I'm wondering if maybe I have some metals in the water would that cause the ch to read high. Thanks Steve

5. Back To Top    #5

That's not high to me! You live in a hard water state.

You're one of us who has to actually pay attention to the CSI number at the bottom of the page. Play with it a little; you'll see that pH affects it the most. Keep that under control and you'll be fine. Take advantage of any rainwater you may get, as it's CH-free.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

I don't think that your CH can be affected by any metal other than calcium. That is why TDS readings are of such little value since other metals such as magnesium (and whatever else was in the water) contributed to the end value. It's just that with a cartridge filter, things like CH continue to rise with water additions to top off. With your fill water having such a high CH, I would imagine that it doesn't take long for your CH to get up there quickly.

7. Back To Top    #7

Off topic -- Steve737, I'd love to see your fire pits. How about a thread with photos?

We have moved some furniture over toward the pool and now there is a paved corner of the yard that is begging for a firepit. I hate to get smokey clothes so I am pushing for a nat. gas fire pit, we have a gas line on that side of the house. Husband likes to play with fire and wants wood.

I'd love to see how you set it up.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

8. Back To Top    #8

I wonder if your MUD has changed water sources?
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by anonapersona
    I wonder if your MUD has changed water sources?
    Always worthy of consideration. I know that depending on the time of year, our water comes from more than one source and each source has its own characteristics with regard to things like TA and CH.

10. Back To Top    #10

Great info thanks! The mud question is interesting, I never thought of that! I will try getting some photos of the pool. And fire features. Also I'll try to show off the coping (quartzite). We are really happy with the results. The last time I tried to post some pics it kept saying the photos are to big! I'll figure it out. Steve