Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First pool, first post.

1. Back To Top    #1

First pool, first post.

Greetings to all. Taking a quick sec to say hi as I am new to the site.

So I have acquired and set up my first pool. It was filled off a well with a start up ph of 6.4, alkalinity 0 and hardness 0, free chlorine is 0, and cyanuric acid is 0.

Used common sense to get the initial testing done, have gotten the water ph at 7.5, alkalinity is hitting a little above 80ppm, hardness is 200ppm.

Heading out to start adding the chlorine. I have been adding everything in slow increments working one aspect at a time as I have heard about the dangers of mixing chemicals.

The question would be how long after I get the chlorine added do I wait before shocking the pool? Also do I add the CYA before or after shocking the pool? I have read alot about overstabilizing as well.

BTW I purchased all the chemicals to perform these tasks but I am reading alot about being able to do it with common household products, anyone have experience with this?
    Above ground Intex easy set 15'x42"
    Approx 3,490 gallons according to the box.
    Cartridge filter
    Purchased July 7th, In place July 10th, Finished filling July 13th

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First pool, first post.

Welcome to TFP!

You can add CYA any time.

If the water is clear there probably isn't any reason to shock the pool. For the most part, you only need to shock the pool when there is visible algae, or CC is above 0.5.

Many of us purchase several of our chemicals at the grocery store. Baking soda is exactly the same stuff as pool store alkalinity increaser, and much less expensive, and so on. There is a good guide to common pool chemicals in Pool School, see the link in my signature or near the top right of any page.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you for your reply Jason. The water is clear but it came from our well which hasn't been treated since we got city water in the house at least 6 years ago. The well is just for watering and such. Will a simple chlorine treatment be a enough? I thought the shock would be a good idea to be extra sure whatever may be there is gone.
    Cartridge filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Also starting from a 0 FC/CYA reading.
    Cartridge filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Exquisite_Decay
    Thank you for your reply Jason. The water is clear but it came from our well which hasn't been treated since we got city water in the house at least 6 years ago. The well is just for watering and such. Will a simple chlorine treatment be a enough? I thought the shock would be a good idea to be extra sure whatever may be there is gone.
    With zero CYA, shock is 10, so it would only waste a little bleach to run it up there. Give it a couple hours, take another set of readings, and if CC is .5 or less, you're probably done.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!