New Pump Install

Wheels

May 28, 2012
Hello!

I'm swapping out a Hayward 3/4 hp for the exact same unit.

When I pulled my old unit out it was set at the 115V setting. My new pump came factory set for 230 and since it appeared I had a dual breaker which lead me to believe I had 230 i left it set for 230. During the swap we checked the voltage and could only get a reading of 115 off each wire (Black, Green and Red) but my buddy said that was because the dual breakers give 115 each for a total of 230.

When starting the new pump today I couldn't get the pump to prime completely. The pressure is only getting to 4 and the pump shuts off after 3 minutes. It was really hot when it shut down. I'm beginning to think it may only be 115 and that why the pump won't prime completely, the pressure is really low and it's shutting off!

I'll take all the help I can get!

If the two breakers aren't tied and only take one slot in a panel, its 115 for each but they are in phase. You need 2 115s, 180 degrees out of phase to get 230. If a multimeter on volts touched to the black and red and 0 volts shows, the red wire needs to be in the common bus and if the red is actually tape, remove it. Then wire for 115.

Scott

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.