Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Washout

1. Back To Top    #1

Hillsborough, NC

We had a couple gully-washers here this week. It has been cool so we haven't been swimming in a few days. I noticed today what I thought was a wrinkle, but it is actually either the sand or the clay under the pool got washed out. I am seeing the outline of 2 of the metal uprights. I went underwater with goggles and the liner looks ok, it does not appear to be damaged. How urgent is fixing this? I realize I have no guarantee it won't get worse. Is it possible to do without draining the pool and pulling the liner? I don't see how. I'd rather not pull another 10k gallons out of my well so soon, plus the start-up chemicals are expensive. Assuming I wait till fall to drain the pool, will it hurt the liner to sit for the winter with no water in it? What is the risk to the liner if I empty the pool?
    27' Round Might Sun AG Pool 18000 Gallon Intex Krystal Clear SWG Hayward Pump/Filter on a Timer

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Washout

For an above ground pool without water the liner is reasonably safe. The main risk is the wall can fall in towards the middle because the weight of the water isn't holding it in place.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    TFP Guide
    Central PA

Re: Washout

Drain and fix at end of season, put enough water (1/2) to keep it partway full, finish filling in spring.... ?
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!