Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Neophyte strategy-Tri-chlor then bleach?

1. Back To Top    #1
    Phildelphia, PA

Neophyte strategy-Tri-chlor then bleach?

So I've owned the pool for 3 years but this year is my first since discovering TFP forums. I love to browse the topics because so many of the questions are relevant to my situation. The first year I got a Taylor FAS-DPD test kit but I have to admit (sheepishly) that I used test strips and the Pool Store more often then testing on my own. I'm red-green color blind so that makes it a bit harder. But now I have the TF100 and a pool shed full of bleach, baking soda and borax!

My CYA is low (below 20) and I've been using tri-chlor tablets off and on with bleach. My plan is to mostly use the tri-chlor until my CYA is in the 30 to 50 range, then exclusively use bleach. The tri-chlor pucks are easy to use as they keep things at a minimum FC level and don't require as much attention as daily bleach.

Any thoughts on this strategy?
    Crackin' Toast, Grommit!
    29,000 gallon in ground, white plaster, with spillover Spa with 6 jets, 1 hp pump, Jandy DEV-60 DE Filter, Raypak 406a 400K Natural Gas Heater, Baracuda S3 Robotic, Jandy Aqualink RS4, TF-100 Test Kit
    New BBB enthusiast

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Neophyte strategy-Tri-chlor then bleach?

That can work out as long as you keep track of the PH. Trichlor is fairly acidic, so you need to regularly increase the PH to compensate when using tickler tablets.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Montgomery, TX

i do a similar strategy. i put in 1 trichlor puck per week in my rainbow feeder. then supplement with bleach. the one puck per week keeps ph from rising so high with bleach additions so i use less muriatic acid.

4. Back To Top    #4

Sunny Central Florida

I do that. I just put 16 pucks in my feeder over the past two weeks. I haven't had to mess with the PH either. I just keep an eye on the CL, and use bleach if I need to bump it up more than 2ppm.
    IG Plaster 20,000gal, attached spa w/ spillover, hayward C12002 cart filter, 1 1/2hp pump w/ polaris 360
    6/16/12 - PH 7.6, FC 6, CC 0, CYA 30, TA 80, Calcium 310