Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ring around the pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Ring around the pool?

I am not sure if this is normal but my pool is developing a ring at the water line. Like a film. Its in the skimmer too. Kinda feels sticky/greasy. My water tests are normal and I have had people wearing sunscreen on in the pool. When I get in I don't wear sunscreen and when I get out I feel sticky. Any ideas as to what this is? It has been coming on gradually but last night it was the most noticeable.

I am going to run a new set of water tests in just a few minutes and post them here just in case they are needed.
    18x34 Doughboy AGP 22300K Gallons - Build Thread
    Aquaview 24" Sand Filter - 1.5 HP Powerline Pump - Barracuda Ranger - Taylor K-2006 - BBB
    Pool School and Pool Calculator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Ring around the pool?

Sunscreen. Moisturizing lotion. Just go look around the bathroom and on her dresser top, you'll find plenty of suspects.

Wipe it off with a "Magic Eraser", usually in the aisle with the bathroom cleaners. After the grocery store, stop at the pool store and buy a scumball. Or whatever they're selling. It's a piece of foam that floats around (mine usually ends up in the skimmer area) and absorbs oils. It will probably be in a box on the counter.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Oooh nice! I didn't know they made something like that. Going to get that tomorrow while the wife is at work.

Looks like I need chlorine again.

FC .5
    CC .5
    pH 7.6
    TA 110
    CYA 40

How often do you test for CYA? Is once a month ok? I went through the reagant pretty fast.
    Aquaview 24" Sand Filter - 1.5 HP Powerline Pump - Barracuda Ranger - Taylor K-2006 - BBB

4. Back To Top    #4

Yeah, about that. I drain down my pool to water the lawns and lose some excess CH, so I need to stay on top of it.

The TF100 comes with an 8 oz bottle of reagent, so I'm good for the whole season.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Just added enough bleach to get to 9 ppm by mistake. people talking to me and I am just dumping in bleach like an idiot. Is it safe to swim at 9 ppm?

These were my readings so I added bleach.

FC .5
    CC .5
    pH 7.6
    TA 110
    CYA 40

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes. 9 is below shock level for 40

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes, I just found that field on pool calculator. I see my shock level is 15.

8. Back To Top    #8

Also,a little bleach&water on a rag will take care of the scum..
    Leasure bay AG 24ft,52 in high.installed June of 1999. Hayworth S-180 T sand filter/Power-Flo Matrix 1horse 2 speed pump /Aqua Trol SWG/Using TF-100 Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320

After the grocery store, stop at the pool store and buy a scumball. Or whatever they're selling. It will probably be in a box on the counter.
    SAY WHAT????? Richard your account has been hacked........lol
    18x52 intex ultra frame pool 6981 gallons, 1 HP LL pump with 19 in sand filter,BBB method,borax 50ppm
    leslies DPD test kit + fas-dpd chlorine test kit + borates test strips
    thru wall skimmer,hard plumbed with 2 returns 1 1/2 sch 40 pvc
    1 large fountain 1 inch sch 40 pvc,shut off ball valves on all