Intex SWG Not Coding - Strip based salt test says 1850

frogabog

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 16, 2010
Portland, Oregon
I finally tested salt. Been waiting because the stupid HTH salt kit comes with strips, is nearly $20 and that's just dum. But H bought one so I opened it and ran the test.

1850ppm Huh???

SWG seems to be perfectly happy. It was happy at 20ppm CYA, happy at 40ppm CYA, and now happy at 65-70ppm CYA (I haven't decided what the CYA test really is yet today. Probably gonna pour a few more times).

I'm still working on how long I need to run the SWG per day but have yet to fall below 3.5ppm running it twice at 4 hours each. I'm still only a week into this so I'm not worried about that just yet unless 8 hours per day on a ~5000 gallon pool seems excessive to someone here.

My CH is relatively non-existent. Fill water is ~2-4ppm depending on whether the water comes from the reservoir or the wells in the city (drought status). I read a lot here about calcium scaling on the plates, making the SWG think it's got low salt. Could the soft water be part of the SWG's happiness?

Basically I want to know if I should bother adding more salt right now or if I should wait till the unit codes. Perhaps 8 hours is excessive and more salt will decrease this time?

hmmm...

pH- 7.4
TA- 70
Borates- 50+ (think I overdid it a little)

If you're following the instructions exactly on the bottle I'd suspect the strips. I'd run a sample to a pool store for verification only. If your test and the stores results are close I'd up the salt a little.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.