Solid wood cover for winter

Weight was my thought. it was simply going to be some plywood laying flat on the top of the pool, my other design I had thought about was attaching one end to the deck and the other side sitting on some 4x4 posts so that it would be a few inches above the pool and have the cover under that

Without trusses (beams spanning the pool) it will never hold. Plywood alone is way too flexible. By the time you build something that will be strong enough it will be a major project. It would be simpler to just use a normal cover.

Heavy still....Metal Frame...If it was that simple someone would have made million's.just saying..Just the cover with snow,ice,etc is bad enough.You wonder why they don't last..That's why I have just started buying the cheapest cover .Then I just throw away..Plus,the mesh cover will let light in& you don't want that..Dark= nothing growing.lol

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
CUTiger78 said:
kplaster said:
Plus,the mesh cover will let light in& you don't want that..Dark= nothing growing.lol
Well, I'm a fan of my Loop Loc mesh cover, so letting light in doesn't bother me.

Anyway, just a thought!

Agreed, been through 2 seasons with a loop loc mesh cover and no issues so the light hasn't been a bother. The mesh for me has worked well.

For the wood cover, I guess I'm confused at the reason to go with that solid of a solution. Seems the money you would pay and the time investment wouldn't pay back on chemical savings with a pretty big risk of cost if it collapsed.

Also, Where would you store this thing when not in use?

radefeld said:
CUTiger78 said:
kplaster said:
Plus,the mesh cover will let light in& you don't want that..Dark= nothing growing.lol
Well, I'm a fan of my Loop Loc mesh cover, so letting light in doesn't bother me.

Anyway, just a thought!

Agreed, been through 2 seasons with a loop loc mesh cover and no issues so the light hasn't been a bother. The mesh for me has worked well.

For the wood cover, I guess I'm confused at the reason to go with that solid of a solution. Seems the money you would pay and the time investment wouldn't pay back on chemical savings with a pretty big risk of cost if it collapsed.

Also, Where would you store this thing when not in use?
I was referring to the trampoline..loop-loc mesh cover's are not the same as the trampoline cover..Loop-loc mesh doesnot let sunlight through.Trampoline material does..

kplaster said:
I was referring to the trampoline..loop-loc mesh cover's are not the same as the trampoline cover..Loop-loc mesh doesnot let sunlight through.Trampoline material does..
I've been swimming under my loop-loc cover and it sure looked like it was letting sunlight through, but whatever....

CUTiger78 said:
kplaster said:
I've been swimming under my loop-loc cover and it sure looked like it was letting sunlight through, but whatever....
Yes, if you would check info on loop-loc.It block's 100% of sunlight..I don't think I would be swimming under it.Each is on.. :wave:

My only reason for thinking about this is that i have 67 trees in my 1/2 back yard so leaves and rain during fall means i have a cover with a foot of water and leaves on it so i then have a big clean up job before winter comes and then in winter i have the same issue with rain and snow.
No matter what i do my cover never seems to stay tight fitting it always sinks down until its sitting on the water in the pool, i have put weights all around it but that didnt help.

1) Loop-Loc's Mesh-II cover will let light in. This is the only mesh material for a cover they have. Some other brands have a mesh that will stop light but they weigh a lot more.

2) Loop-Loc's On-Ground covers are stretched tight to the special anchors set around the perimeter of the pool. If there is a deck around the pool, deck anchors are used if 5/4" wood was used. Engineered products cannot be used as they tend to be too soft a material and the anchors will come loose.

3) Tarp style covers are supposed to sit on the water's surface. They are supposed to form a barrier between the pool's water and the elements. If a tree branch pokes a hole in it, the barrier is broken and pool water can get out and weather can get in. There is isn't anything you can do.

Scott

CUTiger78 said:
kplaster said:

The original Loop-Loc mesh cover let light in.
I have the Loop-Loc II cover, and like mentioned before, it lets in very little if any sunlight.

Loop-Loc does advertise that their Ultra-Loc II covers block 100% of sunlight. However that is not literally true. They do block better than 99% of sunlight, which is about the same thing as 100% as far as algae is concerned, but they still let in enough light that you can see. People can see at extremely low levels of illumination, a tiny fraction of 1% is more than enough.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.