Replaced water and still high CYA?

Hello all,

I officially began the BBB method last night and the first step was purchasing a TF-100 per this site. Because the CYA test only goes to 100 I essentially had to guess and scale the remaining amount to figure I had about 130 ppm. I realize this isn't the most accurate but it provided a starting point.

Last night I rented a sump and pumped out approximately 75% of my pool water which typically holds 9500 gallons.

I thought the CYA test was pretty cut and dry at first but now I see why the instructions said its relatively subjective. I've tested two times this morning while refilling / shocking my pool. The first measurement was about 85 ppm and the second was about 65 ppm. The later test was conducted outside with sun at my back per instructions that I read somewhere on the Internet. I felt relatively confident with this test. However, to confirm my results I wanted to seek a third opinion and I made the trek to a local Leslie's. They tested the water and said the CYA was 125 ppm! I realize the reason not to test at the pool store as they don't really look into depth at anything. For example, my chlorine is about 24 ppm right now but she said it was 5 ppm because that's all her test goes to. Is the CYA test really this subjective or prone to error?

I'm very frustrated and don't know where to go from here. I feel my last CYA test was likely the most accurate but I really can't say for certain because this is only my third time testing. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your assistance! Tis site is great btw.

I'm very frustrated and don't know where to go from here.
Start by staying out of the pool store. Trust your own testing.....always.

Do the CYA test on more time....it is very dependable. Outside with your back to the sun. This time, judge the result, then pour the solution back into the mixing bottle and pour it back into the view tube again....repeat. In other words, do the test about three times in a row.....it's fine to then take the average of what you get on those three results and feel confidant using that as your final CYA result.

Thanks. I do feel more confident in my tests, sorry for being vague. With the "dont know where to go from here" quote, I was mostly referring to pumping out and replacing over 75% of my pool water and still having CYA anywhere between 65 and 85. I was shooting for 40 or 50 ppm.

Another thing that to me was indicative of the pool store people not fully understanding/ carrying about the tests was the total dissolved solids count. Last week it was at 1200 ppm, I've replaced 75% of the water and today they told me it was 1200. I suppose theoretically that may be possible but it seems very unlikely. Phosphates went from 900 to 50 after replacing the water.

You have a better for you testing kit in your hands now! (TF-100) :)
Stay away from the pool store. :hammer:
I did the same thing over a year ago, (scared to death) :oops: but Jason and Dave calmed me down with the same advice and I just listened and learned, Its so easy now!
We have your back...
All this talk, I'm going to get in the pool! :party:

Chuck

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.