Urgh! Subjectivity in testing causing me probs!

lka674

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 12, 2012
Williamson County, Texas
Hi there...new to forum and have already received a ton of advice.

I ordered the TF100 and haven't received it yet and it will be a week or better till I get it, in the meantime I am having to rely on using a Taylor Total Poolcare DPD kit that only shows me TC up to 5ppm and some Aquachek chlorine pro strips. While I know the strips are not very reliable, for the most part they are reflecting very close to what I get with the DPD and since it's all I have right now......I've gotta punt.

We live in TX, we built the pool 2 years ago and it gets 100% full sun all day long....in stretches of significantly hot weather (which we get often in the summer) our pool can easily get up to 93-94 degrees and even aerating doesn't help much. Luckily we've been in the low 90's for awhile and the current temp is 87.

Yesterday when I tested I got the following results:
FC 3
TC 3
pH 7.6
TA 120
CH 400
CYA 80

I can't dilute right now due to water restrictions, so CYA and CH we have to manage and try to slowly bring it down through backwash, splash out and rain for the moment, so the decision was made to use the FC/CYA chart and adjust appropriately. Our pool looked slightly murky so I decide to use the higher range FC to try to clear it up. I increased FC to around 9ish and reduced the TA down to 100 by lowering the pH to about 7.1 and started aerating. I did this last evening and tested about an hour later and it was within the ranges we needed and the pool clarity was starting to look better.

I tested this am and got the following results:
FC 5ish
TC 5ish
pH 7.3
TA 90
CH 400
CYA 70???

Wasn't sure why the CYA was lower...we did have a pretty strong thunder storm and got about 30 minutes of really hard rain dumped into it....but that couldn't explain it totally. So, using the CYA/FC chart I decided to adjust accordingly and again error on high side b/c the pool was murky again.

Using the pool calculator I added the suggested amounts of chlorine to bring FC up and muriatic acid to again bring the TA down just a bit.

I went onto the forum and read up about testing and subjectivity a little while ago and can say that yesterday I likely was over shooting the CYA based upon when I thought the dot was gone. So if that was the case, I've basically been dumping chlorine when it wasn't truly needed.

Regardless, I just went and retested and I'm thoroughly confused what, if anything, I should do!

FC 9ish
TC 9ish
pH 7.2
TA 100
CYA 45 (not sure if I should use 40 or 50 here....but this confirms to me that I wasn't testing CYA accurately yesterday)

My thoughts are to just leave the chlorine alone and let it come down on it's own (are we still safe to swim while this is happening if so?)....but the pH barely budged and I was targeting 7.1 and the TA rather than going down, went UP and that test isn't subjective......

The pool clarity looks awesome, I don't smell any chloramines....

Any comments or suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance-
Laura

I ordered the TF100 and haven't received it yet and it will be a week or better till I get it
Nope. If you ordered it this weekend it will ship Monday and Texas is three day delivery (ground) so you will have it on Thursday.

I do not know why you are adjusting pH and TA...Leave them alone....they are fine and were fine.

Let your FC come on down to around 5ppm and then keep it there.

Perfectly safe to swim in FC up to shock value which would be around 20ppm so go swimming! :lol:

The CYA test is hard to get deadly accurate...plus or minus 10ppm is certainly close enough.

Have fun!
Keep up the high end of your chlorine and you'll be good :goodjob: until you get your kit and then do a full set of tests and come and post them here in this post.
all this pool talk...I gotta go get in the pool! :whoot: I'm suffering from POOLSPARKLEYITIS! :party:

Chuck

duraleigh said:
I ordered the TF100 and haven't received it yet and it will be a week or better till I get it
Nope. If you ordered it this weekend it will ship Monday and Texas is three day delivery (ground) so you will have it on Thursday.

Thanks and I actually ordered it yesterday, but may have been too late in the day. Can't wait to get it!!

I did just let my daughter get in it and then she had to get out for a quick potty break and I DOOOO smell chloramines after all! On her life jacket and her skin.....you think since the chemistry I am getting is somewhat within normal ranges (albeit on not so great test kits), that I can put off any sorta shock process until I can actually read the CC's on Thursday or does that smell mean unsanitary and not safe for my 2 year old to be in? Eeesh! A LOT to learn in a short period of time! LOL

And just to mention....I am still getting a small amount of what appears to be soap bubbles forming when the waterfall water and spa spill way hit the pool...I noticed it when we first turned off our tablet chlorinator and switched to liquid. I had asked whether that was normal with bleach and someone, one of the moderators I believe, suggested that it may be indicative of algae.........factoring that into what I just said......does it change any answer?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.