Hi there...new to forum and have already received a ton of advice.
I ordered the TF100 and haven't received it yet and it will be a week or better till I get it, in the meantime I am having to rely on using a Taylor Total Poolcare DPD kit that only shows me TC up to 5ppm and some Aquachek chlorine pro strips. While I know the strips are not very reliable, for the most part they are reflecting very close to what I get with the DPD and since it's all I have right now......I've gotta punt.
We live in TX, we built the pool 2 years ago and it gets 100% full sun all day long....in stretches of significantly hot weather (which we get often in the summer) our pool can easily get up to 93-94 degrees and even aerating doesn't help much. Luckily we've been in the low 90's for awhile and the current temp is 87.
Yesterday when I tested I got the following results:
I can't dilute right now due to water restrictions, so CYA and CH we have to manage and try to slowly bring it down through backwash, splash out and rain for the moment, so the decision was made to use the FC/CYA chart and adjust appropriately. Our pool looked slightly murky so I decide to use the higher range FC to try to clear it up. I increased FC to around 9ish and reduced the TA down to 100 by lowering the pH to about 7.1 and started aerating. I did this last evening and tested about an hour later and it was within the ranges we needed and the pool clarity was starting to look better.
I tested this am and got the following results:
Wasn't sure why the CYA was lower...we did have a pretty strong thunder storm and got about 30 minutes of really hard rain dumped into it....but that couldn't explain it totally. So, using the CYA/FC chart I decided to adjust accordingly and again error on high side b/c the pool was murky again.
Using the pool calculator I added the suggested amounts of chlorine to bring FC up and muriatic acid to again bring the TA down just a bit.
I went onto the forum and read up about testing and subjectivity a little while ago and can say that yesterday I likely was over shooting the CYA based upon when I thought the dot was gone. So if that was the case, I've basically been dumping chlorine when it wasn't truly needed.
Regardless, I just went and retested and I'm thoroughly confused what, if anything, I should do!
CYA 45 (not sure if I should use 40 or 50 here....but this confirms to me that I wasn't testing CYA accurately yesterday)
My thoughts are to just leave the chlorine alone and let it come down on it's own (are we still safe to swim while this is happening if so?)....but the pH barely budged and I was targeting 7.1 and the TA rather than going down, went UP and that test isn't subjective......
The pool clarity looks awesome, I don't smell any chloramines....
Any comments or suggestions would be much appreciated!
Thanks in advance-