Pentair IC 40 Has No Power

I have a Pentair IC 40 with Easy Touch controller and this is my 4th year with my pool and have had absolutely zero problems until today.
I went down to backflush and saw that no lights on my cell were on...I went ahead and backflushed and still no lights. I turned the breakers off and checked the connection to the bottom of the Easy Touch panel and everything looked ok so I hooded it back up and flipped the breakers on and still no lights. I pushed the IntelliChlor circuit breaker reset and it didn't seem to be tripped and the IntelliChlor Status light on the panel is showing green.
Any ideas? This must have just happened because I just checked and balanced the pool on Friday and everything was pretty normal as always.
Easy Tough diagnostics on chlorinator says Salt:0 ppm and status is OK No errors

JasonLion said:
Check the cable between the IC 40 and the power supply and make sure the connector(s) are firmly attached.

The cable from the IC 40 connects to the bottom of the Easy Touch panel and I have checked this connection several times and it appears to be making good contact with no corrosion...do I need to follow the wires inside the Easy Touch panel from the connection?

In the troubleshooting guide under "Cell light does not come on" it says one of the "Possible Causes" is Salt level below 2500ppm...I guess it is possible that I let the salt get lower than 2500 but would this shut off power to the cell completely? I don't have any test strips for salt as I just use the Easy Touch to check it...been 100+ degrees for almost 2 weeks straight here.
I guse the next thing is to get some test strips and also remove and check the swg for scale/debris build up

I picked up some test strips for salt and the water tested at 2,100 ppm so I added 3 bags (150lbs) of salt to see if this is a fix.
Evidentially the SWG just recently shut down 'cause below are my test numbers from this morning.
FC-3.2
PH-7.7
TA-80
CYA-60
CH-210

Hopefully the additional salt will kick the SWG back on...is it possible that the lights just quit working?

susa said:
>> the IntelliChlor Status light on the panel is showing green.

so are you seeing some lights lit up on the IC40 Cell ?

which ones ?

if salt is low, a RED light will come on - see the owners manual (available also online)

There are no lights at all lit on the IC40 cell.
I pulled the cell off and inspected it and the cell had a really large amount of scale build up so I acid washed it twice and installed again and still no lights on the IC40 cell.

Assuming you have verified the transformer has power going into the IC40 cell, it's time to replace the cell. Do *not* buy new cell before you check the transformer.

About 500 on amazon or ebay for new ic40

I'll call Pentair tomorrow and see if technical support has any ideas and thanks for the suggestions. I haven't verfied that the transformer in the Easy Touch panel is actually working but I will research that and try and find out how to check it.
My IC40 (and all pool equiptment) is in a shaded/covered spot and when I feel the lower portion of it where the cells are it feels about like the water temperature...the upper part (where the lights are) is noticeably warmer like something is running and creating heat.
It is about 100 again today so I should find out real quick if the IC40 is not really working when I check my FC tomorrow morning.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have an IC40 SWG that is not making chlorine. The salt level lite is red, but I have had the pool water checked and the salt level is good. The pwr lite is red, the Cell lite is off, the Life lite is green and the Flow lite is green. I have no manual to troubleshoot. Any ideas what I need to check to get this SWG operational again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.