New pool filled and ready?

jimmerz

Jun 25, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA
Hello. I just got home from vacation and my pool is up and "ready". The filter is running and everything looks good. I have my TFTest kit in a box ready to open. Should I test my water now just to see what my readings are?

My installer put 3, 3" pucks in my chlorinator for me.

Any advice is welcomed, this is all new to me.

The first thing to do is to test PH, TA, and CH. For CH, just check that it isn't very high. For PH and TA make sure both are in the recommended range. If the PH is a little low (7.2 to 7.4) that is alright for now.

Then it is time to go to Pool School and do a little reading (unless you already have been there :) ).

Hi jimmerz, :)
I just finished putting up my new (used/rebuilt by me) 21' with a deep center, so were close, with my calculations and using the pool calculater with my additions I'm somewhere about 12,750 gals +/- 400 gals. :whoot:

Read up, and post a full set of test # using your best tool you have (the TF100 test kit) :cheers:

First thing like jasonlion said, get the pH to 7.2-7.4 range.
Use this in Pool School and the Pool Calculator:
pool-school/pool_water_chemistry

Get some CYA and use the pool calculator here:
http://www.thepoolcalculator.com/

Figure how much CYA you need to get to 40ppm (my opinion to do, having a lot of sun and heat here in FL.)
I'm at 50ppm.
Put it in a sock and get pump running and hang over return.
3-5 days it will show up in your test (if it's hot out)
Go to pool CYA chart and look for chlorine level you need for 40 cya, use min # for now.
pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock

At 40ppm CYA, get 3ppm of chlorine in the pool and have some swimming fun for now.
After you posts your test result we can help advise what's next!
Enjoy...
I going in my pool now this talk is getting to me! :party:

Chuck

Well, I will get around to testing it tomorrow. Busy unpacking and running around from Vacation today! Thanks for the quick replies.

I grabbed some of those 3" chlorine pucks for my auto chlorinator, since that is what was already in there and I figured I would need some chlorine in my pool until I figure out how to do the BBB thingy...lol

My wife was freaked out about me putting Bleach in her pool, but I'm in charge not her :goodjob:

I did do a little vaccum and that was fun, there was a little dirt on bottom, probably from my builder? The water looks pretty clean, I just dropped in a thermometer so I will see what the temp looks like a little later.

I will post my results (If I can figure out that TF100 test kit, I never was very good at Chemistry), tomorrow.

2012-07-14143838.jpg

Here is what I have, Now how can I make this my Avatar? It keeps telling me I need to be between 0-6 Kib or 100 width x 100 Heighth? I have resized and tried everything, but I am unable to upload... :hammer:

Ok, here are my first test results. (I did do the CYA without re-reading this post, sorry Richard). As I did the CYA test I thought for sure I was doing something wrong, because I filled that tube up and was able to still see the black dot!

FC = 6.5
CC = .5
TC = 7
TA = 110
CH = 130

Chlorine reading in blue test kit was a 5
PH was 6.8

I am running my filter and I have about 3, 3" pucks in the auto chlorinator...

Water looks good and clear right now, but my numbers aren't where they need to be huh?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Richard320 said:
jimmerz said:
it says 87 oz of Soda Ash, is that Baking Soda? And whether I use Borax or soda Ash what is the proper way of adding it to my pool?
No, they are quite different.

Maybe you ought to re-read this article: pool-school/recommended_pool_chemicals

Lol, ok. I got it. I think I might add the borax tomorrow or the next day. And after re-reading that article I now know how to add it. To be honest we've only had 1 full day of swimming in the pool so maybe a little more splashing will help? I also need to check and see what exactly I am putting in the chlorinator (di or tri, I don't know the difference) I'll read the box again.

I'm more of a hands on watch and learn kind of guy. I was confused completely about the TF test kit until I went and did it. It should get easier over time. I really think I will be completely using the bbb method next summer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.